View Single Post
Old 18th March 2019, 20:40   #20
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Well, I had another look at the intercooler today, and found the offending hole(s).
1 of them is actually visible in the second post of the thread.😳
Difficult to photo the 2 holes but at least 1 is visible behind where the FBH temperature sensor wiring was previously located. (thought to be the cause).

So folks, what’s the options:
- worth fitting a 2nd hand unit?
- new? Have seen a post about a GM unit so might opt for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are sure it is holed then replace it with a second hand unit.
In the past I have seen me removing the cooler rad and washing it outside and in in the solvent bath with the pump on medium, boy thee look different cleaned up.
If the tanks had a hole in them then it was a a rub with steel wool a coating of flux and silver solder up the offending hole. I used even to be happy silver soldering up individual vertical galleries.
Sadly these days are past can’t hold a micro torch steady enough and also need a very big magnifying glass to see the thing.
Many units are made from thermoplastic these days though don’t remember seeing a plastic one on a 75 but the same repair holds good for them. Just the micro torch gets changed for a plastic welding gun.
Find an afternoon and take it out and give it a good clean so you can see what you are dealing with.
I have fond memories of the winter of 79 I was on station at RAF Swinderby ne’er Newark it was February and there was three feet plus of snow. Then we used to fit ploughs to the front of 7.5 Tonners the only problem was if the driver clipped the kerb with the plough at speed he sent the full plough rig through the main Coolant Rad. We had one tractor with front bucket, along with eight plough units for 7.5 tonners. I seem to remember spending that month repairing Rads at the rate of about five a day.
Personally I think it was a race to see if I could keep the wagons on the road, before the drivers wrecked them. We had to get antifreeze airlifted in by rotary wing aircraft 6, 45 gallon drums to supplement out 3, 45 gallon drums.
Just for fun before falling into my rack one night I welded up a plough with adaption brackets to fit the front of a Jaguar V12 powered, tracked personal carrier. It’s Rads we’re mounted on the flat at the rear of the unit. My joke and the tractor were the only two that I did not have in for repair many many times.
It is sad to think that Airfield is no longer there, think the blew a large part of it up for an episode of “London’s Burning” where the story line had a LPG gas bottling plant on fire.
Sorry for the bit of life story but just had to get it out. Old age !!!
Ba Humbug.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote