View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2018, 07:17   #26
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Why add gear oil Clive

By the way, I would consider myself fairly competent when it comes to most things, but you will find an absence of any sort of groove on the original drop link body on the large end of the boot to be the main stumbling block.

So I should imagine the problems you would encounter in attempting to reboot these are as follows.

1 finding a suitably sized boot, of reasonable quality

2 cleaning the old boot off completely and then treating the metal prior to gluing the new boot to the drop link.

3 ensuring it doesn't simply part company in service.

Of course I would have done something to address the split boot on the ZT if I had thought for one minute that it would be successful, however if you wish, I will post you the one with the split boot to experiment with, there is no play in the joint

Brian
Yes - thanks for that Brian - I would like to do that. I will pm you my address.

As to why the 50/50 mix EP90/Grease - I used to do this on my Land Rover swivels where the original spec was EP90 alone and then they moved to a one shot mix that came in a large plastic sachet.

The swivels are exactly that - large recirculating balls that allow the wheels to turn and so need good lubrication. So not the movement your get in a gearbox but there is a requirement for low viscosity lubrication. Grease alone dried out over time and EP90 worked best but it would weep out and that started to cause problems at MOT time. Which was a shame because with early LR’s if it didn’t leak it was empty.

So hence the mix. And ever since then this has been my preferred mix even for things like trailer pistons etc. as the EP90 creeps everywhere.

The other consideration was the practical aspect of using a 2ml plastic syringe to get the stuff into and under the rubber cover. It was a piece of cake with the lower viscosity.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote