View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2018, 22:40   #1
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default KV6 - Oil emulsification / coolant loss.

Hi all.

I have a 2.0Kv6 which a family member has been running for the past 2 years... It has needed a fair amount of TLC in the cooling department, and has now had the following completed:
  • Waterpump
  • Thermostat Assembly
  • Header tank cap
  • Radiator (old one found to be leaking)

A couple of months ago it developed a slight lumpiness on a cold start, and around the same time re-developed it's appetite for coolant. Previous to the above work being done, it did overheat on 3 occasions (OBD showing temps of 115'c / 118'c), the final time it threw most of it's coolant out through the header tank. The final time it was recovered where the garage found a leaky radiator, that was "pulling air into the cooling system and over-pressurising it".

I now have the car in my care to try and get to the bottom of the problems. At present the symptoms are:
  • It's not running on all 6 cylinders from a cold start. This clears in a maximum of 4 seconds to smooth running.
  • The car is losing coolant, however it seems to be losing coolant when the car is left to stand. It has covered 200 miles today, and the coolant was checked 3 times during the trip - no loss.
  • There is emulsified oil present under the oil filler cap. Not a lot, but enough to be a worry.
  • The car is not presently overheating, and the cooling fans are in working order.
  • There does not seem to be excess pressure in the cooling system, however I will check properly in the morning.
  • Plenty of toasty air from the cabin heater

The garage in question have supposedly had the oil cooler off to test it and is OK (not sure I trust them though!) and their 'diagnosis' is a "cracked engine block". They claim to have done a sniff test & emissions test which all were fine.

Any ideas?!
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote