View Single Post
Old 7th July 2018, 21:41   #114
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Cannot be sure but the haze may well be a galaxy but not a far away one. If it is a galaxy it will be our own one, the milky way. Well I suppose they are all far away but that one is the least far away.

Here is one I took a while back showing Orion on the lower centre/right and the milky way in the centre.

Orion
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Your settings look ok. You need to up the ISO and use wide aperture to keep shutter fast enough to not allow the earths rotation the blur the stars. Some lenses handle bright pinpoints of light better than others. Modern camera sensors generally produce less noise than older ones. Maybe you could try the shutter at 20 sec, it will reduce noise a little but the stars may just start to streak a little. Your lens is set as wide as it can go but a lens with a wider aperture would help. With a wider aperture and longer shutter speed you could reduce ISO which in turn would reduce noise.
That is an utterly stunning photo Paul.

I'm using my travel lens (Tamron superzoom) for 96% of my photography, including this photo.
My camera is about 18 months old, but is a 2013 model. I will upgrade it when it wears out.
I'd really like an 18mm prime lens, most of my photography is done at 18mm.