View Single Post
Old 27th March 2018, 16:51   #241
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I thought my use of bold print might have helped to convey what question I was asking, but in order to avoid any further unnecessary wear & tear on keyboards, I am asking DD what his grounds are for saying "that those worried about U.K. youngsters are not that bothered about youngsters from other EU states".

EDIT - thank you for your answer DD, you hit the reply button as I was typing.
No problem - it’s annoying when work interferes with what we chat about on here!!!!

A bit of background - I have worked for a couple of European companies - the longest time of which I spent a fair bit of time working out of Belgium. So I love Europe - but my experience means I have become increasingly suspicious of the EU as it morphed from the EEC to something else entirely.

From a business perspective - I came out about 30% Remain - 70% Leave. The advantages of the EEC have been so diluted by the political drivers of the EU Gravy Train.

From a personal - selfish viewpoint - I came out in favour of Remain because my retirement plans had required free movement across EU borders.

But - I did actually vote emphatically to Leave because I have seen first hand the cancer of high youth unemployment and what it does to the dynamism of a country - it destroys it for generations.

So please do not even go there regarding opportunities for our youth and how the EU is supposedly going to benefit the young of the U.K.

Because if you look at what EU policies have done to certain member States regarding unemployment in general and youth unemployment in particular - I think even the most committed Remainer would be having second thought if they applied the “their but for the grace of god go us” - where “us” is the youth of the U.K.