View Single Post
Old 18th February 2018, 00:35   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
According to the Haynes manual, there are 2 wiring connectors clipped to the front of the transmission, which, once released from their brackets, should be twisted apart. The gearbox ECU will also show any stored faults if connected to T4 diagnostics. It is quite possible that the 2/3rd gear solenoid valve is the only one sticking, then suddenly activating/unsticking, causing the jerk. Changing the ATF (you may need to do 2 changes to ensure the majority of it is replaced), should help clean any sticky residues from the oil galleries and valves.My Audi A4 B5 used to change from 3rd to 2nd automatically with a slight jerk as it slowed down, but manually shifting from 3rd to 2nd, it would wait until the speed was reduced to the set parameters before dropping down fairly smoothly. My old Mitsubishi 4x4 (1991) does not seem to change down in this way, but always seems to be in the right gear when I re-apply the accelerator - smoothest Auto I know - as smooth and predictable as wife's tiptronic SLK box.

I reckon you are 100% with the diagnosis.