View Single Post
Old 14th February 2018, 11:23   #19
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Oh the skills are out there. Before I had a Rover 75, I had media units from Kenwood and Sony, fitted in the other cars, not that expensive and the guys who did the fitting also installed extra security like immobilizers, trackers, sat nav - fairly standard and based in Walthamstow, been there for years. But even spending £300-£400 on a media centre, your advice for folks to throw them away when the unit stops working is not uncommon.

When I had the touch screen membrane pack up on my video camera, the replacement including the new screen and labour was £40. Considerably cheaper than throwing it into the bin and buying a new one. But that’s Kenya for you, where we are much closer to life and death, and we don’t live in a ‘throw away society’....
I'm sure the skills are out there, it's the replacement parts that aren't with these, Kenwood, Sony etc is a whole different kettle of fish. My bin suggestion was based on experience rather than wanting to encourage people just to throw broken things away.

As it happens I haven't followed my own advice and I still have two Navalls in my filing cabinet at work waiting for the day someone pops up and says they know who can fix/replace the screens (I'm not holding my breath obviously ) because I just can't bring myself to take them to the tip when they cost me around £800
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote