Thread: Battery drain
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2017, 17:14   #1
pugcrew
Avid contributor

none

Default Battery drain

I am slowly working through my to do list since getting my CDTi and next is to sort out the battery drain.

I have found that if I don't drive the car for four or five days my battery goes dead. My initial checks confirm that I am getting a charge to the battery when the engine is running and this is supported by the fact that if I use the car regularly then there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I have also checked to see what current is passing when everything is off. I was surprised to see that about 3 amps seems to be flowing even when everything like the satnav, TV unit, interior lights etc have shut down. This seems very high and I'm surprised that with this drain the battery actually keeps it's charge for more than a day or so.

The TV unit in the boot starts up and I can hear it whirling every time I switch on the ignition which I understand is normal. This switches off after about one minute and goes quiet. However I have found that if I unplug both leads (blue and white plugs) the current drops to about 1.5 amps so this may not be the whole problem but it is not helping. Whilst I obviously don't use the TV if I unplug the unit I don't get anything on my screen even though the radio still works otherwise I would just leave the TV unit unplugged. Has anyone got a work around for this?

There is another unit in the spare wheel compartment which I'm not sure what it is. I haven't disconnected this yet as I want to work logically through all the possible causes but I'd like to know what it is and whether this could also be disconnected??

My car has a CD player in the glove compartment, in fact it almost completely fills the glove compartment. As I will never use it and it is only another possible source of a drain I would like to know if I can disconnect and remove it without it affecting anything else??

I only ever use the radio and satnav so as long as these work I'll be happy.

I'm hoping that removing any redundant entertainment kit will solve my battery drain but if anyone else had a similar problem I'd be interested to know what they did.
pugcrew is offline   Reply With Quote