View Single Post
Old 10th August 2017, 08:12   #18
RobPlews
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Comet Trials and successes

Big Ade - I was having reception troubles with my tourer with my Comet. And I seem to have solved the problem for my late model tourer at least. Sean asked me to post my findings here.

Seemed to me the antenna amplifier wasn't getting any power. I did a bit of research and a bit of electrical testing on this one. I'm not a chump when I comes to good old fashioned wiring at least. My amplifier certainly wasn't getting any power but with a wire to the boot light I could make it come on (and turn it on/off with the interior lights which was handy for testing).

So where was the power coming from with the old unit?

Having looked at a few wiring diagrams I got their in the end.

Pin 5 on the grey ISO plug does indeed power the antenna amplifier in the back D pillar of my tourer (2005) via a purple/yellow wire. Somehow its brown and yellow when it gets to the back of the car but whatever, it may split to run amps on other models.

On the black block that comes with the Comet pin 5 connects to a blue wire labelled 'ANT' funnily enough. This doesn't go into the Navall unit, it's a loose wire with a bullet connector on the end.

This is quite handy as connecting that to a live feed makes the cars antenna amplifier work with no chopping of looms etc.

The difference it has made for me is huge - without it I couldn't get BBC Newcastle here at all as I'm right on the edge of the broadcast area. With the amp working I can get it in stereo and better than my works Ford Ranger which is brand new.

Hopefully this may be useful to you in future if anyone is having trouble.
RobPlews is offline   Reply With Quote