View Single Post
Old 20th June 2017, 20:42   #13
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I've never forgiven my former employer for what they did to me. I loved my job (rail industry manager) but the company got the centralisation bug, eliminated all operations managerial and supervisory positions at regional level. Conveniently the positions at the four centres they created in the Midlands went to those within reasonable travelling distance so they avoided having to pay relocation costs. I resigned myself to going out the door then got a phone call a month before my finishing date saying they were keeping me on. Of course I'd put out feelers with contacts in other rail companies but after being told I was being kept on I "cancelled" them. One week after I should have finished I got another phone call, take annual leave next week then finish . . . . talk about being hung out to dry! To add insult to injury it took months to get money out of them for the not inconsiderable amount of outstanding leave I had. I spoke to the guy (and mate) who had been my immediate boss almost a year later, he was really pee'd off, still doing about 90% of my former duties as well as his own.

The reorganisation did the company a lot of good, they were the largest rail freight company in the UK but they've lost contracts hand over fist. Ended up being bought by DB Schenker (German company) and have lost so much work they are now talking about pulling out of Scotland completely. That didn't come as a major surprise. I was based at a depot outside Edinburgh that had 80+ drivers, last I heard there were 6, yes SIX, left!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote