View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 08:21   #2
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
While driving up to Eden Camp last weekend in the V8 I switched on the torque app that's installed in my double din and was amazed to find that driving for 267 miles on the motorway at 70mph it reported an average fuel consumption of 30.1mpg

Does that sound feasible in a 260 under such driving conditions or is the app and OBD dongle a bit wonky? In my V6 cars the IPK usually reads 28 - 30mpg on motorways, so if so there isn't much in it

Of course stop/start driving around town is another matter in the V8......
I'm always a bit sceptical about the figures you get in that way. I know using the IPK 'estimates' is not at all accurate on any of my V6's. I would say that my V8 is only around 10% thirstier than the actual average (not IPK) for my V6's, but they vary by almost that amount from each other anyway.

The only way to tell is to check from top-up to top-up on the odometer, and then over a number of fill-ups and types of journey. On the 1000 mile round trips to PoL 2016 and 2017, same conditions and route, I got EXACTLY the same consumption approaching 29mpg. 90% motorway. Only one leg including 20 miles of 50mph road works cones on the M1 edged over the 30mpg this year (just cones and cameras; no 'work' of course) but I lost that advantage in the Belgian battle-zone!

Your figures look pretty much like mine I guess then. Personally I am surprised how frugal they are on fuel.

David

Last edited by dbt01; 5th May 2017 at 08:31..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote