View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 13:54   #23
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Rhubarb loses Custard.....................

...................................in Malton.

We was all early risers this morning. Jan & Jon wanted an early start to get back to Cumbria. So with everything packed Ian and I helped to carry the 14 cases down the North face of the Eiger. Once we had descended at the base camp we helped load "Silver Vixen". We said our goodbye's and watched them go before Ian and I climbed back towards the summit.

Jan had found the vacuum and was giving the flat the once over, Ian sorted out the rubbish and cleared up in the kitchen. I took two bags of rubbish down and put in the bins, then I went and moved Banana over to where the "Vixen" had been parked. Only to make it easier to load up. Then back up to the flat. I then brought some of my stuff down plus the last of the rubbish. Back up to get my case.

Then Ian brought Redfive over and the loading process started again, the owner of the flat came out and whilst Ian chatted I went back up to bring the last of there stuff down with Jan carrying the last bit down. I did have to go back up again as Jan had left her nibbles in the kitchen. Keys were now put back in the key safe.
The plan was for Ian to follow me to the petrol station then onto the A1 as far as the M18 turn off and they would carry on across country and home to Dorset. Whilst I stayed on the A1. Well that was the plan.

But Ian led off and I followed but at the end of the road Ian went left, I flashed twice, but Ian carried on towards the town. I thought that maybe they had decided to get some shopping before going home. So with Rhubarb going left, Custard turned right towards York and the A64. I never saw them again but did get a text message a bit later. Seems Ian had withdrawal symptoms and almost returned to Eden Camp before remembering he was supposed to be going home. Apparently it's a 'age' thing. Something for me to look too then.

So we was on our own. We pulled into the service station on the A64 and replenished Banana's tank. Then back onto the road till turning off onto the A1 and homeward bound. I had considered having a trip down memory lane but felt that some memories need to be locked away for now. Always another day, I can always come back.
The weather was "March winds with April showers bring forth May flowers" all the way home. I stopped the services at Grantham for a wee. Plus a bite to eat and a drink.
Back on the road and Banana just cruised home. Soon past Peterborough, and past Truckfest. Onto the A14 and in turn onto the M11. Got home at 2pm. And it was chucking it down.

Banana ran her usual sweet self. Only covered 510 miles on this trip at a steady 69.9mph on the Big roads. In turn she gave me 40.5mpg. Happy with that.

And on the way home we saw;
Moonstone 75 at the services on the A64.
Mellow Yellow MG 3 on the opposite side on the A64.
Copperleaf Tourer Northbound on the A1.
White MG 6 passed me on the A1.
Silver 75 saloon Northbound on the A1.
Another MG 3 passed me on the A1. Grey with Orange stripes.
MG ZR in Rio Red passed me on the M11.
And a stunning Austin Healey MK3 in light Blue over Cream passed us on the A1. They had the top down, and oh! What a beautiful sound. Was on a 1966 plate.

Well till the next tour I bid you all goodbye. Thanks for reading

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote