Thread: Spongy brakes
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2017, 17:16   #20
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
I suspect the master cylinder. A sudden loss of braking performance, loss of fluid, car's been largely idle for four years (brittle seals?). My hands are biggish, if I can get one under the reservoir will I be better informed about the condition of the cylinder? Are the cylinders the same as those for the v6?
If you have checked for leaks at all four corners, and rubber hoses to same, and the the ABS unit and front-aft piping run then it cannot be anything other than the servo/master cylinder. If fluid is being lost and not visible anywhere then it must be being leaking in/into the servo and either still sitting in there (lots of room) or being eaten by the vacuum feed back to the V8 surely?? Older BMC/BL stuff did it regularly, my MGC and a Cooper-S did it, but never heard of it in recent times though?

IF I'm right then its not good news maybe, David :-( .

Get onto Brian (scooter) at Dreadnought and see what he may have in stock? Pick his brains whilst your on! Maybe even the two-sixties shop via Tim? (Don't know to what extent the units are ZT or even 75 compatible, other than claims here that the master cylinder is the same as regular ZT or 75 2.5 Tourer).

David

Last edited by dbt01; 30th April 2017 at 17:49..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote