View Single Post
Old 18th April 2017, 08:33   #20
Glen B
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club, 2005 Rover 45, 2000 Rover 25, 1963 Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The OP has a diesel which is driven from an auxillary drive belt, and the original pumps they come with do last well. I would have thought more due to design quality than which belt drives it though.

As mentioned even genuine Rover parts may not have the build quality of the original ones, but I don't know of anything better.

If your pump is leaking from the facejoint with the engine though it sounds more like a fitting fault than the pump itself. The original gasket seals that complete end of the engine when built up at the factory, and you have to cut the tabs to remove the old part of it that seals the water pump before fitting the new gasket.

Maybe your garage didn't realise this, or didn't clean the face up properly?

Thanks for your replies. The pump has been on for 3 years and only started leaking a month or so again. I noticed because, unusually, I was having to put a small amount of water in every week or so. The local garage I go to has one mechanic who is late 20s and an mot inspector. The mechanic said it was a difficult job due to lack of space but surely it would of leaked earlier if fitted wrong. I,ll phone Rimmers about a genuine pump unless anyone knows anyone better. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote