Old 4th April 2017, 22:19   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Insurance thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
I have a terhi microfun11ft boat. the plate says 10-15hp however, I have seen them with up to 25hp

I'm using it in Chichester harbour and occasionally the Norfolk broads.
I've been looking at 10-15hp 4strokes used around 800-1000 pounds but a friend suggested I should go for a 15hp 2 stroke as much simpler to maintain etc and they seem to be around 500-800 pounds but I wanted the quietness of a 4stroke.
what would you suggest to push along this little 120kg boat?
i really wanted a small short shaft 10-15hp on remotes but cant find any for a reasonable price except buying new at 1700 pounds so will have to stay with tiller steer instead
all advice welcome, please
Not sure how your boat insurance would view a 25hp on a 15hp plated boat. Not worth the risk I reckon. Might be very awkward if you had an accident. They do happen. I reckon 15 hp should be more than adequate for your proposed use. 10 probably ok too. In my opinion 4 stroke worth it if you can afford it but nothing much wrong with a well looked after 2 stroke. To be honest simple DIY servicing not difficult on both types. Have done both. Currently have a 2.5 hp 4 stroke Yamaha for our yacht tender. We bought it new 5 years ago and service it myself . We Keep it on a bracket on stern of our 26 foot yacht and it can move that at 2 to 3 knots! Handy as an emergency to get us back into harbour if ever a problem with our 20 hp inboard diesel.

My advice...get the best you can afford either 2 or 4 stroke. Condition more important than type.
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote