View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2016, 17:13   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
explain to me how it is possible to damage a torque wrench to remove nuts/bolts/plugs ? - any more than it's possible to damage whilst tightening

the idea being - you get leverage, but can't exceed a specified torque - so less chance of damaging the spark plug - you don't force it beyond the clicks - same as tightening

for the record i understand that a torque wrench is for "tightening" to a specified level that's how i use mine

Paul.
You don't use a torque wrench to do anything other than tightening a fastener to the specified torque Paul....period, and the "slackening" feature is for tightening left hand threaded fasteners, not loosening.

Remember a measuring tool is just that for measuring, it's not a breaker bar, using it as such however and it will be broken and not fit for the purpose it was designed for.

One of the nicest tools I ever designed was the TMS 2000, a torque transducer in a range of 5 Ft Lb to 1000 Ft Lb, this was utilised for calibration testing of torque wrenches to BS 7882.

It was a unsupported beam type with the fulcrum pivot 24" from the weight hanger, and calibration took place in Ft Lb, so application of a 100 Lb weigh exerted 200 Ft Lb of applied torque at the fulcrum.

Weights were gradually added to test for linearity, and the electronic torque measurement was achieved using four strain gauges wired in a Wheatstone Bridge arrangement, bonded to the transducer shaft.

All a fairly distant memory really, it's a long time since I served my time at Stewart-Warner

Anyway I digress, tighten first then loosen on a hot engine, using a sliding tee bar in the central position should do the trick, after the plus gas has done it's job

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote