Thread: ABS Sensor
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2016, 12:31   #37
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default What a timely thread !!

Went up to Gateshead this weekend to collect a new bonnet for my Tourer, and for the first time ever, I had an ABS fault come up while travelling up there. Just read this thread and it has helped me immensely. I followed the testing procedure using the multi meter and located the fault to the rear off side. Fitted a new sensor from DMGRS and all is now well. Thank you all.

In the spirit of passing on a few learning experiences here is what I did on the Tourer.

1. There was no way the sensor was coming out of the hub, but having read a few posts on drilling it out, I was a bit concerned about catching the ring on the bearing , and also swarf left inside the hub. So, I removed the hub and bearing to gain access to the sensor. I then drilled it out with a 10mm drill (the hole is 12mm), and then cleaned it out with a file until the sensor fitted freely down the hole. Then I vacuumed out all the swarf.

2. I thought removing the sensor from the hub was going to be the worst part, but in fact getting the Blue connector from under the seat, to go through the hole in the body was the worst. I assume it is the same on all Tourers, but with the seat swab removed, I could feel an insulation pad at the base of the back seat, that was sitting over the whole / cable. I had to chisel away at this with a screw driver (not easy as it was all by touch, as I couldn't see anything) until I got enough space to get the Blue connector through. Feeding it back through again was even worse, but I finally managed to get it through.

3. EastPete had shown some measurements for the front ABS sensors in the thread, So I thought I would show the length of the rear ones for future reference. The sensor was from DMGRS, and was 32mm.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0400.jpg (126.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.jpg (128.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0418.jpg (128.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0423.jpg (126.9 KB, 134 views)
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote