Thread: 30mpg
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2016, 13:48   #16
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
Almost exactly what happened to me years back when coming home with my 820 Sterling - woman in Saab behind me didn't stop until she hit the caravan.

As it clearly wasn't my fault I went through her insurers (Norwich Union) and that's where the fun started especially as the impact had bent the towbar on my 820 too: they wouldn't get me an a loan car suitable for towing whilst mine was being repaired and they wouldn't hire a replacement caravan for the few months it took to repair my own.

Needless to say, the occasions since when I've been rear-ended(!) I've gone through claims management companies and let them deal with it all, probably at great expense to the third party insurers. You may want to take this route if not too late, and make sure you forward on any proof of holiday bookings to them if you need a caravan in the meantime before they write it off.

The caravan was due to be parked up for the next 50 weeks so plenty of time to have it resolved. I've also been lucky and the Towbar is fine as is the car. The challenge will be if they decide to offer too little in which case as I'm not contracted to them I will demand they repair it or offer a sensible value. They can't forcibly write it off as I'm the 3rd party and a few people I know have successfully won court judgements if it gets messy.