Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2016, 16:47   #447
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Well the markets will certainly wobble in the run-up - and I suspect whatever the result the markets will then bounce back.

But as for the various indices signalling anything - what they do indicate is entirely predictable. The FTSE 100 - on the whole large corporations working hand in glove with the EU will of course be indicating the negative gains made recently by the OUT campaign. And the FTSE 100 is down from a high of circa 6750 a year ago to about 6200.

However - the indices that reflects far more the sort of companies that pension funds are invested in is the FTSE 250 - this too is down by a similar amount

But did anyone think that a Referendum on EU membership is NOT going to make the markets wobble?

Equity Markets need to be looked at in the longer term. If anyone invests here then use the volatility via Pound(£) Cost Averaging.

The FTSE 250 stands at 16800 as at close of business Friday. Five years ago it stood at 10300.

Similarly the FTSE 100 on Friday closed at just under 6100. Five years ago it was bouncing around the 5040 to 5200 mark.

Volatility is the name of the game.

And as such Pension funds - whilst having some exposure to equities - because of their legal requirements for security actually have significant exposure to the Fixed Interest Sector - both Government Gilts and Corporate Bonds.

As a simplistic example - the M&G Gilt & Fixed Interest fund grew at 9.8% over the last 12 months - the fact sheet gives the Sector Performance as a yardstick as well.

https://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/...e=MGGTI&univ=U

For similar reasons pension funds also hold significant exposure to Property.

Again as a simplistic example - The Aviva Property Fund has grown 7% in the last 12 months. Again the Sector performance can be seen on the fact sheet.

https://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/...e=nupt1&univ=N

Not much of a scare story with those two markets

Trying to run yet another scare story re peoples pension is exactly that - a scare story.

I would tactfully suggest that anyone who suggests that has not got a clue about the realities of investment in general and pension investment in particular.