Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2016, 07:04   #124
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
If you understand how the EU works, you must be the only one who does, maybe you can explain to me what our MEP actually do, (apart from apparently loose 80% of their votes) but what do the actually vote on? I do know that it has taken them 9 years to agree with our government that vehicle emission tests did not reflect real world conditions, and I believe similar time to agree trade deal with USA, neither of which have reached a conclusion yet.
What I do know, is that the elected members have no powers to make directives, which are the rules that must be obeyed, these come from the unelected commissioners, a bit like an upside down version of our system.
Early on in this debate, I was lead to believe that there was nothing to fear from the EU making decisions that might be detrimental to UK, because we could always use our veto, however I later discover, that if (I think nine) countries agree, our veto can be overruled.
No i don't think I'm the only one at all. the MEP vote on proposed laws much the same as ours do. Trade deals are something that would be outside their scope, again much the same as ours. For example the last uk - china trade deal it was the PM and the Chancellor that went and signed it off.

We do have a veto, but only in some areas.

HTH

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/