Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 20:09   #106
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Now now. Members of the Cabinet have the freedom to vote as they feel fit, likewise every other MP no matter what side they sit.
Likewise they should not be denigrated for wholeheartedly supporting a particular viewpoint. Just because they don't support the same position of our PM and Chancellor (amongst others) doesn't give Michael and Boris serpent status. I wouldn't dream of saying Call me Dave was a snidely turtle because he turned over on his shell, drew his head in and proceeded to deceive us once he returned victorious from his negotiations with J-C Junker and his mates.
Come on, fair is fair.

With respect, you are rather missing the point. Because the government did not (and I think I'm correct on this) include 'staying in' as a manifesto pledge, people can complain that they have no mandate to state their 'in' position as they are doing now (at tax payers expense). They obviously did this as the party is totally divided over the issue.

By and large, I'm sure the politicians - and public - take the side they do out of conviction. Not Boris however..... otherwise he wouldn't have been saying in February how good the EU is or taken so long to decide which side he's actually on!!

He's taken a punt on 'Out' winning, Cameron's position being untenable and guess who then becomes PM. Not somebody anyone voted for, that's for sure.

And talking of anti-democratic, when are those accusing the EU of being as much going to object to the House of Lords?