View Single Post
Old 4th May 2016, 08:50   #224
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That isn't strictly true

You cannot make a backup of the EWS3 using TOAF, or indeed T4, and that along with the IPK is where the cars central coding key lies.

The difference being with T4, it is not possible to make changes to the ZCS coding without these changes strictly adhering to the set of internal "rules" of RDS, (Rover Discus System) the actual heart of the T4 diagnostic software.

That is where TOAF can trip up the unwary, there is no safeguards to stop you making adhoc changes to the ZCS coding.

It can be said of systems such as INPA and EDIABAS, which are BMW based diagnostic programs, along with NCS Expert, can cause lots of issues too, quite simply because there is no buffer so to speak of that prevent catastrophic changes being made.

My first experience of TOAF was interesting to me at least, as I have a fairly robust understanding of what does what and why on our cars, so confident in the knowledge that if I cocked up the car I could restore it to a previous state with minimal hassle, I tried out every function with complete abandon.

To be on the safe side however, once you have enabled or disabled your functions to your preference, at least for the time being, regarding TOAF more as an aid to fault finding than anything else.

I have owned a TestBook 1 for nearly fifteen years, a T4 for ten, and a 75 or ZT for six, and I bought my first 75 as I was curious as to what could be achieved electronically that was different to the earlier cars I own.

Let's just say, learn to walk before your run, I have made most of my mistakes in terms of the electronics inside Rover cars already, and have learned from these accordingly.

So if in any doubt whatsoever about anything you are not sure about when coding a car, please ask first, I'm sure I won't be alone in thinking our Polish friends will be happy to explain it in more detail.

It's not a peeing contest, and there can be a place for both systems in the upkeep of our cars

Brian
I am very glad of posts such as these, the comments are reassuring indeed, and I personally will be cautious if I ever decide to have a look at TOAF, Thank you Brian
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote