View Single Post
Old 16th February 2016, 08:58   #25
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
The top of a tumble dryer has a lid on it , the flames would have to be coming through the lid and unless you had gallons of water I don't see any chance of extinguishing the fire !

Sorry guys but I don't see this as a workable solution, not to mention the fact that most people's domestic appliances are under kitchen or utility work surfaces it's even less likely to work.

If a fire has taken hold of an appliance that badly unless you have proper extinguishers to deal with the fire my advice would be to get everyone out of the property immediately and dial 999
I agree Jeff that location and the cover material will be the problem.
We don't have one and never will. When I worked in Mastercare/Currys I was shocked by the inherent lack of safety in them, then added to the fact that most folk these days think everything is fit and forget, no wonder they are so much of a problem. Too many highly combustible plastics, items built in and other factors don't help.

In the case of a fire that is out of control, yes get out and dial 999, don't think of heroics!

EDIT: Kens idea would only be possible with a free standing machine of an older design anyway.
The advice I used to give was never use them when unattended and at night, something that now seems to be advised, like anything else common sense prevails, sadly its dying out these days!

Last edited by murphyv310; 16th February 2016 at 09:08.. Reason: Added a sub edit
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote