View Single Post
Old 11th July 2008, 00:04   #21
Vulcan190+
Regular poster

Trophy Blue MG ZT-T 190+ 2002

I caravanned for over 20 years and my father in law still does and is a c&c club member rallying every weekend.
It's not rocket science... work out the weights and you've cracked it.

The 85% rule is a guideline but most seasoned 'vanners use it as a gospel. Just make sure the fully laden weight of the van doesn't exceed 85% of the weight of the car you, can exceed it but at your own risk. I would advise not to until you have experience of the weight of the whole unit.

Load the van over the axle(s) with heavy stuff and don't carry what you don't need to. Keep everything low down.
I can't find a definitive weight on the net for that van and I would suggest a walk into your local caravan dealer and just ask him whether he thinks it matches, but I'm sure that the 75 is heavy enough.
This is why most experienced caravanners buy a massive 4x4 just to be sure.

You MUST have a stabiliser, without it you risk a snake, I have been there with a bad snake on; and it's only luck that the whole unit did not turn over, brown trousers and 10mph onwards from there....

Moving the whole unit:
Think about the length of the unit, most people just drive the front wheels and can scrape the wings of a Ford Ka turning a corner. Move your perception outwards to the end (back) of the trailer and always work from that rather than your normal steering of the car.
Reversing is a huge thing and newbies will pile it.. end of.. as the unit moves steer and WATCH it when it starts to go follow it with the steering and correct it, now this will be opposite to what you expect so if you can, find a big empty space and practice.

Caravanning is a hobby and an art, embrace it and enjoy it and poopoo the Clarksonites who hate vans, we don't hold up anyone, big trucks, coaches do that, we travel at the proper speed with cars that can do it.
Be proud as a part of today's British society who want a decent holiday inside their own country and want to use their own car to tow their own home from home with them.

EDIT: I'm sitting here at 1.15 am thinking..I want another van.. this thread has probably cost me 12k over the next few weeks..doh!! Oh how I hate nostalgia.. it's so expensive.

Last edited by Vulcan190+; 11th July 2008 at 00:19..
Vulcan190+ is offline   Reply With Quote