View Single Post
Old 21st February 2015, 22:36   #31
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Colin,

You've explained this before, but I'm afraid I don't understand your point. You seem to be criticising Haynes on the basis of Terry's experience, so shouldn't you take responsibility for your own signature?
I'm criticising Haynes based on my own experience, and using the opinion of a very well-regarded mechanic to back me up - I came across his quote when I was searching the internet for help with something that Haynes had got wrong and I therefore struggled with, and the quote amused me

Quote:
I agree, but you're contradicting your signature Colin
Not really - my signature relates to that one particular job, it doesn't say that Haynes is wrong on everything. To the contrary, it seems to be right for most things. As I said in my previous post, it is a mixed bag. But my signature wouldn't work as well with a disclaimer, it would lose the humour

Quote:
There are errors in the MGR official manual. Garages make errors, main dealers make errors, governments make errors which cost human lives. Why single out poor old Haynes for criticism?
Poor old Haynes? What about poor Bolin and no doubt others who have been stumped, annoyed and had to get help elsewhere because of the errors? This is a car forum, a Haynes manual is a very common thing for car owners to have, so it is very appropriate in my signature on a car forum. Haynes manuals are supposed to be based on a strip-down and rebuild, so they should really be right! It's a bit like buying a TV which works perfectly well almost all of the time, but occasionally turns itself off for no reason.

A common abbreviation on car forums is HBOL, I will let you look it up But it shows I am not the only one with some gripes.

But as I said before, it is very useful for almost all jobs, and pretty much an essential starting point for any job.

To Haynes credit, they do show some wiring diagrams, which I understand the big MGR book you can buy doesn't, and the full diagrams cannot be bought legitimately 'off the shelf'. And Haynes is reasonably priced.

Mine is falling apart, that tells you how much I have used it
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote