View Single Post
Old 15th August 2014, 21:10   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Well an update from a less than happy person. I honestly thought that I was getting a good deal with the aforementioned agreement on a caravan service and repairs

Well the work was carried out by a North East Mobile engineer, and the cash was handed over, so it is now two days prior to going away and we brought the van from storage down to the house, whilst here I thought I will hook up the electric and water and test everything prior hitting the site.
Anyway certain alarm bells have started ringing, the Kitchen tap had a fault as in to get it to work you had to turn on the bathroom tap, this is down to a faulty micro switch, well lo and behold the tap still does not work. The rear window has had a 'new seal' fitted as it had previously leaked, only to find it is still leaking, on top of this when we connected the gas my wife noticed a strong smell of gas, upon checking the front locker was wreaking and this turned out to be a faulty regulator.. also part of the service was a full Gas/Electric and Damp test.
So as expected the 1st port of call is to ring the engineer, no answer ! so left a message only to receive a 'TEXT' from him saying the switch must be temperamental and the seal will need adjusting, but he will sort them 'Free of Charge'
Now is it just me, but if he has my number would a Phone call instead of a text message of been more professional and to say free of charge, am I supposed to feel grateful for this??

So it looks like a visit to the Caravan Shop tomorrow for me to purchase and fit a switch.... The rear window, well suppose a towel needs to be handy this week

That isn't good news at all

It sounds as if nothing has been done for the money at all.

One issue I had which wrecked a caravan I bought, was the lack of any sealant between the rubber seal and the body. If you can open a window, then just ease the seal away from the body, with no sign of a soft sealant, yours is the same.

Those horribly delicate plastic microswitched taps can be very tempermental and expensive too. A pressurised system is more reliable, where there is just one pressure switch and you can use any taps, even domestic taps are much better.

If he is doing gas tests and services, he is legally required to be qualified. It sounds as if he is not, leaving a system in such dangerous condition - maybe report him to the authorities?

Is the faulty regulator one of those bulk head mounting Truma ones, with a high pressure pipe leading to it - rather than a regulator mounted straight on the bottle?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote