View Single Post
Old 30th January 2014, 08:45   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Diesel cooling system: bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpmikey View Post
... reached 90 ... reached 108 ... dropped to 75 ... back up to 90-94 ... climbed to 106 ... was at 104 when i turned car off..( and i finally had a bit of heat from vents in car)
Mike,

That is a wild variation. With coolant leaving the cylinder head at 104° and only "a bit of heat" from the matrix I'd say that your cooling system either isn't pressurising or it contains air. I note that your radiator fan isn't working; you should repair that.

Here is MG Rover's recommended refilling procedure for the diesel. It recommends removing the cylinder block drain plug when draining (I bet you didn't do that ).
  1. Fit cylinder block drain plug & tighten to 25 Nm.
  2. Remove bleed screw from fuel burning heater (FBH) hose.
  3. Fill cooling system keeping level at expansion tank neck until a steady stream is emitted from the bleed screw hole. Fit bleed screw.
  4. Continue filling until level remains static at expansion tank neck.
  5. Turn off air conditioning [this is only to prevent the radiator fan from running continually].
  6. With expansion tank cap off, run engine at 2,000 - 3,000 rpm and add coolant to maintain the level just below the tank neck. When the level rises, fit cap.
  7. Continue running engine at same speed until the radiator cooling fan starts. Reduce engine speed to idle until fan stops. [In practice this is likely to be unachievable. Ensure that the temperature gauge has reached 'normal'. The coolant temperature can be monitored using the IPK diagnostics.]
  8. Switch off engine. When cold, check expansion tank level and top up to no higher than the 'max' marker. If this is not visible, remove coolant until it is.

If you follow that exactly, you shouldn't have any problem.

Simon