View Single Post
Old 17th February 2013, 08:46   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Regret I do not agree that removing bellows from air duct leads to effect 1 and or 2 as above, but will certainly lead to a better and less restricted air flow, but then what do I know I have been running like this for 8 years no problems whatsoever, so do not worry about removing the bellows, if anything it will stop water spray from entering and destroying the MAF, if your performance below 1800-2000rpm is poor then unplug MAF, if performance improves the MAG is dead, buy a Pierburg one from Roveron, then relax and enjoy your new car.

Having seen the long term affects of MAF degeneration, this is accelerated considerably by this particular "performance mod" which is nothing more than a placebo, and actually reduces performance slightly.
Air flow figures for a compensated Pierburg MAF are as follows

Idle 510mg per stroke
3000 RPM 610mg per stroke

This is opposed to a Bosch MAF

Idle 480mg per stroke
3000 RPM 720mg per stroke.

So what do these figures mean, with the Pierburg fitted, your car will be overfuelling at low speeds and underfuelling at higher speeds.

The Pierburg MAF may have been a reasonable compromise when Bosch MAF units cost over £250, but now with the price of the real unit being just over £100, there is no need

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 18th February 2013 at 23:17..