View Single Post
Old 16th August 2012, 13:23   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
The fan when spun by hand is a bit notchy/stiff but does have free spots where it moves nicely.
What you've described here sounds normal. I think you might be worrying unnecessarily about the bearing. When I re-brushed my motor I didn't do anything to the bearing, and I've had no trouble since.
Quote:
... is this the new brushes on the commutator not bedded in ...
I can't see how that would result in "notchy/stiff with free spots". Did your new brushes have a concave contact surface to match the commutator by the way?
Quote:
... now the fan is back in the car it doesn't work off the air con panel, so it seems the pcb/relays maybe the problem ... might need a new fan, hope not.
Replacement PCBs are available from Jules. Relays are available too. Absolutely no need to buy a new fan. You said that it ran satisfactorily on the bench, so the motor must be o.k. I doubt that the T4 will pinpoint the fault; it will just say that the slow/medium/fast speed is inoperative which you know already.

Keep us posted. I recently helped another member diagnose a PCB fault. His fan would never stop running!

Simon.