Thread: Failed to boot
View Single Post
Old 27th July 2012, 16:41   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Failed to boot

This morning my rather fancy, but now rather old, desktop PC failed to boot for the first time ever. No BIOS showing on the monitor, no single beep from the speaker, no sound of any HDD activity, the green info display on the PC just showing that it had power (normally starts to show date and time) and the monitor went almost immediately into standby mode due to no video signal.

Removed everything plugged into it, tried again and same result so got the PC out onto my bench, blew all of the accumulate dust out, powered it up with the same result - nothing. By then I was thinking CPU or motherboard failure, or it was lacking one of its power supplies. Volt meter out, checked all its voltages and all fine, so started disconnecting its internal none essentials. It at last showed signs of booting up, when I removed one of its two SATA HDD's, it has space for four and has worked fine for two years with both drives in.

Both HDD's have bootable copies of WinXP on them, so I tried swapping to the other HDD and found it would boot with that one in too. Again tried it with both plugged in and back to not booting. Re-checked the voltages, especially the +5v and +12v used by both drives and they were spot on.

I'm now wondering if the SATA interface has developed some peculiar issue, but I'm puzzled as to why it didn't even show the BIOS boot screen or beep.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote