View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 18:08   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by binraider View Post
I was just about to replace the power steering pump (s/h £33 - ebay with 60 day warranty) when i thought - hang on that air con belt looks a bit tight - and it was really tight - so i loosened, then removed the air con tensioner from the engine and the belt was still too tight to come off the pump. So i loosened off the air con pumps bolts to give some slack and removed the belt. Put the aux belt back on, started the engine and "Hey Presto" the Squeak was gone!

Hmmm - the garage had sourced that and put it on. When i took it in i had bought the serpentine and aircon pump belts from BMW. The garage had phoned me up and said it was the wrong belt (air con) and they had to get the right one. But the one they got was also too short - about 1cm longer than the Beemer one. The one that was replaced was definitely much longer - when the tensioner was loosened with the old one you could slip it off no problem! They must have forced it on and now i expect the bearings in the air con pump are shot!

Moral of the story - Do it yourself
Hi. Last line of your post.yes yes yes yes and yes again.You can only blame yourself then if anything goes wrong.