The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 200 coupe gear selection issue. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327850)

VVC-Geeza 2nd May 2024 16:47

Rover 200 coupe gear selection issue.

I took my 218 coupe off Sorn yesterday from where it has stood in the garage since last November.It's been started periodically during that time but not moved.Got a problem with it that I have never had before despite it standing for extended periods on many occasions.
I cannot select any gear whilst the engine is running but there is no problem without engine running.The clutch depresses and returns normally.

When I parked it up in November the clutch worked normally and there was no issues either selecting gears or with take up.Can anyone advise me what has happened please and how to rectify it? Hopefully without taking anything to pieces ☹️

Popcorn 2nd May 2024 17:12

Is it grinding gears when you go to select any of them?
Try putting it in first and starting the engine with the clutch depressed,if it's trying to drive the clutch plate maybe stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel,but do make sure you are ready to turn it off if it lurches :duh:

VVC-Geeza 2nd May 2024 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn (Post 2995098)
Is it grinding gears when you go to select any of them?
Try putting it in first and starting the engine with the clutch depressed,if it's trying to drive the clutch plate maybe stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel,but do make sure you are ready to turn it off if it lurches :duh:

The only gear I can move the stick towards is reverse and it starts to grind badly.I did try and start in reverse with the clutch depresses but it lurched backwards.Unfortunately I can't try this in a forward gear as it's still in the garage with hardly any room in front.

Popcorn 2nd May 2024 17:28

Unfortunately sounds like a gearbox out job,the clutch has got stuck or the drive plate could have collapsed :duh:

VVC-Geeza 2nd May 2024 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn (Post 2995100)
Unfortunately sounds like a gearbox out job,the clutch has got stuck or the drive plate could have collapsed :duh:

Damn - the moral is move it don't just start it :duh:

VVC-Geeza 2nd May 2024 17:36

sworks (Mark) suggested idling it with the clutch pedal depressed hoping the heat transfer would free things up. I tried this for 50 minutes without any joy,maybe give it another go tomorrow for longer.

Mike Noc 2nd May 2024 17:48

Seized clutch plate - had this a few times when buying cars to banger race back in the day. Drag it out of the garage, put it in first gear and with the clutch pedal fully depressed give it the beans down the road, and if that doesn't free it off same again with the handbrake on. :}

VVC-Geeza 2nd May 2024 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2995104)
Seized clutch plate - had this a few times when buying cars to banger race back in the day. Drag it out of the garage, put it in first gear and with the clutch pedal fully depressed give it the beans down the road, and if that doesn't free it off same again with the handbrake on. :}

Thanks Mike,hope the brakes work,not been driven for 6 months :eek:

VVC-Geeza 3rd May 2024 20:07

Good news,I've just been into the garage and tried it again and all gears now go into position very easily with the engine running.Ive only reversed it out of the garage and back in again so far but it was fine apart from some brake squeel,so looks like they will need a little freeing off as well.Be a good excuse for a blast into the Peak District over the weekend:}

I haven't done anything apart from leaving it 24 hours so I'm thinking Mark's suggestion in post #6 probably helped and just needed a little time to work.Thanks Mark :bowdown:

It's been a bit of a harsh lesson but I will make sure in future that it is not only started regularly but also moved when on Sorn.Thanks to those who offered advice,much appreciated.

sworks 6th May 2024 14:07

Glad your back on the road, good luck with the MOT