The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brighter headlamps (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315486)

donc 25th September 2021 20:40

Brighter headlamps

Now that the dark nights are setting in I wonder if anyone has had success fitting brighter headlamps. I've a 2005 contemporary and though I've polished the lens the light output is no way near that of a modern car.

Tenesmus 25th September 2021 23:30

I find modern lights too bright, dazzling and wouldn't like to inflict them on anyone else. :shrug:

Mike Trident 26th September 2021 06:55

I use these

H7 Philips RacingVision GT200 12V 55W Halogen Bulbs

The best I've tried by far, and remaining legal for your MOT

grivas 26th September 2021 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2901141)
I find modern lights too bright, dazzling and wouldn't like to inflict them on anyone else. :shrug:

I entirely agree, all too often we are being blinded by over bright headlights, how are these things legal?.

KWIL 26th September 2021 14:39

There are many vehicles that could do with the aiming being set up properly.
Apart from that the "modern" SUV designs have them too far off the ground.

roverbarmy 26th September 2021 18:29

I was told that the modern "Reactolite" lenses and similar have a permanent minimum 20% tint. I have a pair of standard lenses for night driving and the difference is amazing.;)

polinsteve 27th September 2021 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2901227)
I was told that the modern "Reactolite" lenses and similar have a permanent minimum 20% tint. I have a pair of standard lenses for night driving and the difference is amazing.;)

The risk is "losing" detail in the shadows, it can be rather dangerous.

RogerHeinz57 29th September 2021 07:56

During my time owning Rover 75 and MG ZT, I had a similar issue regarding poor lighting, This was an issue, but a fix is possible if you are brave enough to take headlamps apart !
My fix was an obvious one really when you think about it.
Most of us have either refurbished the outer lens on the lamp units (I had mine done for me professionally), and a slight difference was noted. But we need to understand that dust and debris will get into the headlamp body eventually. The projector lamps are notably the worst ones for this.
I removed the lamps from the vehicle, removed the lenses and bulbs. Using glasses lens cleaning wipes, I cleaned inside the globe lens and the external side of the globe. The re-assembly was far easier than the strip down surgery, fitted the original bulbs and re-assembled the car. The difference was great and long lasting.
So in short, if you decide to clean something, clean all of it to make the best possible outcome.

grivas 29th September 2021 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 (Post 2901590)
During my time owning Rover 75 and MG ZT, I had a similar issue regarding poor lighting, This was an issue, but a fix is possible if you are brave enough to take headlamps apart !
My fix was an obvious one really when you think about it.
Most of us have either refurbished the outer lens on the lamp units (I had mine done for me professionally), and a slight difference was noted. But we need to understand that dust and debris will get into the headlamp body eventually. The projector lamps are notably the worst ones for this.
I removed the lamps from the vehicle, removed the lenses and bulbs. Using glasses lens cleaning wipes, I cleaned inside the globe lens and the external side of the globe. The re-assembly was far easier than the strip down surgery, fitted the original bulbs and re-assembled the car. The difference was great and long lasting.
So in short, if you decide to clean something, clean all of it to make the best possible outcome.

This is a great idea, however not something I would contemplate realistically, and it is fair to say, the standard lights on the 75 are not good, so whenever I am able and it is legal I use my fogs as well, after all if so called running lights can 'blind' other drivers......

edwardmk 29th September 2021 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2901141)

Agree. I suspect many of them are illegally set up to suit the driver after passing the MOT. Lots of super bright bulbs available off the internet which state 'off road use only' are probably 'on road' and swapped out for the MOT too. I really notice a problem in a low car and prefer driving the Transit at night.
Tried different night driving glasses and they all sacrifice detail. Helps to have a super clean windscreen and essential to look away and try to avoid being dazzled.