The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   double standards - stay at home (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=304220)

cb750chris 12th April 2020 21:16

double standards - stay at home

Can anybody explain to me.

Why is it, when we are being told to stay at home, and not to visit holiday homes.
Boris Johnson is allowed to go and recouperate Chequers?
Surely this is double standards? Shouldn't he be in Downing Street where he originally self isolated.
Thoughts?

planenut 12th April 2020 21:24

It doesn't take much to work out. Number Ten only is a flat for him and his partner, there are dozens of offices and meeting rooms and each day, the Nation wants an update from "Number Ten". To provide that update, several Ministers are required to attend Downing Street. It is far more sensible to move them off to a secure and isolated environment.

There is an excellent Hospital not far from Chequers should they need it.

I may be in the minority, but I think it's a logical move.

mirage110 12th April 2020 21:53

Dont believe everything you read/hear.....just saying!.

cb750chris 12th April 2020 21:58

Just want to point out, I am not trying to cause a big arguement, just wonder if I am alone in my thoughts.

My thinking being that, 'Oliver Dowden hammered home the message, saying nobody should visit holiday homes'
Yet, Chequers is described as 'Chequers is the country house of the UK prime minister' with Boris Johnson is described as living at 11 Downing Street.

I struggle to see how Boris Johnson going to Chequers is any different to Catherine Calderwood going to her second home, whilst telling 'normal people' they should not visit holiday home -double standards to my mind.
Would this same tolerance be applied to say, a banker, moving to country home, from a city apartment

another_clean_sheet 13th April 2020 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb750chris (Post 2805663)

Would this same tolerance be applied to say, a banker, moving to country home, from a city apartment

Not the same. He is moving from a hospital.
In actual fact 10 Downing Street is actually his place of work

DRWMGTF 13th April 2020 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2805657)
It doesn't take much to work out. Number Ten only is a flat for him and his partner, there are dozens of offices and meeting rooms and each day, the Nation wants an update from "Number Ten". To provide that update, several Ministers are required to attend Downing Street. It is far more sensible to move them off to a secure and isolated environment.

There is an excellent Hospital not far from Chequers should they need it.

I may be in the minority, but I think it's a logical move.

Morning.
I agree with your thoughts.
Boris has been very unwell!
Give him a chance. I think he deserves it. Would anyone like his job at the moment?
Regards David

Bogbrush82 13th April 2020 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb750chris (Post 2805654)
Can anybody explain to me.

Why is it, when we are being told to stay at home, and not to visit holiday homes.
Boris Johnson is allowed to go and recouperate Chequers?
Surely this is double standards? Shouldn't he be in Downing Street where he originally self isolated.
Thoughts?

If he's gone straight there from the hospital, then he's not broken any rules. Also by isolating himself from work, any chances he may have of infecting other members of the cabinet are negated.

RPWC 13th April 2020 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2805752)
If he's gone straight there from the hospital, then he's not broken any rules. Also by isolating himself from work, any chances he may have of infecting other members of the cabinet are negated.

That’s what I was thinking. His partner had symptoms of the virus ,she is expecting, for him to go straight back to Downing Street would have been risky as he needs time to recover and build his strength back up.With her displaying symptoms(as was reported when he first went to hospital), it could have been dangerous for both of them not to mention the rest of the cabinet and behind the scenes staff.

wraymond 13th April 2020 10:42

Don't know what the fuss is about. Chequers is his formal registered residence as PM - legally and politically. Downing street is his office/place of work where he is unable to isolate without preventing affairs of State to be fully maintained. QED.

Dawn 13th April 2020 10:58

Well I know I wouldn't want to be taken straight to my place of work if I just came out the hospital :getmecoat:

The others who flounced the rules had not been sick, they were just ignoring the guidelines. I think it makes sense to me. :)