The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Are Shield discs worth it? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289528)

Rickshaw 26th October 2018 16:00

Are Shield discs worth it?

Whilst working on a wheel arch I noticed that the Shield disc was badly rusting so I contemplated buying a full , new set . I intended rigorously coating these with anti-corrosion stuff before replacement. Since I suspected that replacing the rear ones might involve work with bearings etc I called my local 75 garage for possible help. The chap said that he simply would not bother :–

• he had owned various cars and the Shield discs rotted on all and he never replaced them
  • they provided very little real protection for the brake discs etc
  • if anything did get on a disc , the action of braking would remove it
  • replacing the rear ones could result in some thing 'breaking' in the process

So here are the questions :-

• Is it worth bothering to replace ?
  • Are the rear Shield Discs really problematic and the process risk some breakage ?
  • Does anyone have any useful observations / experience ?

All the best

macafee2 26th October 2018 16:22

the rear ones do require the hub to be removed and the bolts that hold the plate in place are amazingly tight for what they are.

Re the front. from another thread it has been suggested that part of the shield is cut away so the front hub does not need to be removed. There is a thin strip that's cut away.

The rears if knackered do need to be replaced as the hold the handbrake shoes.

These are diy jobs

macafee2

Avulon 26th October 2018 16:46

The rear ones also carry the handbrake shoes mechanism...

chris75 26th October 2018 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickshaw (Post 2681255)
[*] Is it worth bothering to replace ?

Of course it is :}
You wouldn't drive around without a front grille badge , would you ? :eek:
You know it makes sense !

macafee2 26th October 2018 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2681263)
The rear ones also carry the handbrake shoes mechanism...

and the handbrake cable

macafee2

Rickshaw 26th October 2018 17:27

Great

Thanks chaps for replies so far - good points that indicate it IS worth investing in new shields .
Much appreciated - as are any further observations from anyone.

steve-45 26th October 2018 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2681279)
Of course it is :}
You wouldn't drive around without a front grille badge , would you ? :eek:
You know it makes sense !

Oops ! .. better get around to fitting that new front grill badge.... :getmecoat:

MWMan 27th October 2018 07:48

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickshaw (Post 2681287)
Thanks chaps for replies so far - good points that indicate it IS worth investing in new shields .
Much appreciated - as are any further observations from anyone.

I decided to change my Disc Shields when I did the front and rear suspension overhauls. The rears were easy to change, but the fronts were a bit more of a challenge. I have attached a document showing how I went about it. It might be of some help.

Rickshaw 28th October 2018 20:18

Really Helpful

Just to say I really appreciated the guide note in the previous message. Such help is an excellent example of what this club is all about and is much appreciated.