The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Almost a brown trouser moment!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=223975)

ianbstag 19th August 2015 15:33

Almost a brown trouser moment!!

So, I'm still new to this V8 thing (lovin' it!), so here's a little query to you more knowledgeable types:

Last night, after being stuck in the massive traffic jam on the M62, (why, oh why didn't the powers that be put a sign on the sliproad saying the motorway was closed, instead of letting me find out a couple of miles later?:mad:) I ended up driving through some unfamiliar roads, trying to find my way back to the M1.

Anyway, after a few miles of slow moving traffic, the road eventually opened up into a dual carriageway, so I put my foot down, and overtook a few dawdlers. Conditions were a little damp, but I was a little surprised when, on changing up at about 60mph, I encountered a little (actually, quite a lot) of wheelspin. Luckily, I was in a straight line, and the moment was controlled and over in no time. Is this normal?

My rear tyres are quite new, but are made by Jinju (sp*) They get decent reviews, but if anyone can recommend a better tyre, I may end up changing them.

I expected the car to need a little care on damp corners/roundabouts etc, that's normal, but uphill, straight line wheelspin at 60 mph is a new one.:D

Other than that, the car performed faultlessly, despite being stuck in crawling traffic for over an hour, then driving through a monsoon north of Sheffield.

Best decision ever, buying the 260. (I think my diesel will be up for sale soon!)

olliesgrandad 19th August 2015 15:58

Really really jealous you lucky ******::getmecoat:

geordie1 19th August 2015 16:02

Worst ever "I have a V 8 "thread!

Yes I am jealous.:drool4::drool4::drool4:

ianbstag 19th August 2015 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie1 (Post 2075598)
Worst ever "I have a V 8 "thread!

Yes I am jealous.:drool4::drool4::drool4:

Wasn't meant to sound like that!!!! I really would like to know if it is my tyres, or is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Have to say though, it did sound ****** good "giving it some beans" up that hill :D:D

geordie1 19th August 2015 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075616)
Wasn't meant to sound like that!!!! I really would like to know if it is my tyres, or is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Have to say though, it did sound ****** good "giving it some beans" up that hill :D:D

I know, I am just jealous!

colintf 19th August 2015 16:21

Most of us use Toyo or continentals on 260s I believe :cool:

AndyG 19th August 2015 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075616)
.... is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Yes, the back end is very easy to breakaway (It's the Torque). Good tires are needed.

Toyo's are my choice but I understand they have changed the compound. :shrug:

Number 6 19th August 2015 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2075661)
Yes, the back end is very easy to breakaway (It's the Torque). Good tires are needed.

Toyo's are my choice but I understand they have changed the compound. :shrug:

The Toyo tyre is now made in a different country and the quality is not as good,This was mentioned on the MGF owners club because Toyo was recommended for the F and some users have been having problems with grip with the new production run

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 18:35

I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....

I would say more, but Club Rules prevent me!.....

AndyG 19th August 2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075710)
I would say more, but Club Rules prevent me!.....

so "Tread" carefully ;)

[QUOTE=MrDoodles;2075710]I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....
[QUOTE]

Even on my sons ZS we use Toyo's (for now ??) :}

Summer and winter :cool: