The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why wouldn't my car start? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=215956)

Stag>75 11th May 2015 09:56

Why wouldn't my car start?

First time this has happened to me. R75 2.5 KV6. Drop about 8 km without issues and parked the car. The road was at quite an angle to the kerb so the car was on a tilt to the left. I came back to it about 1/2 hr later and it turned over fine but would not fire. I tried a few times but to no avail. I lifted the bonnet to determine if there was anything obvious but didn't have any tools with me. I wasn't able to tell if it was fuel or spark related. After leaving it for about 5 minutes it started fine.

My concern is that it might happen again in a less convenient place. Any likely candidates?

Dorset Bob 11th May 2015 10:27

If it happens again, my money would be on the camshaft sensor.
I had this with mine, fine when starting from cold but didn't like warm start ups. ;)

cunny44 11th May 2015 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stag>75 (Post 1997011)
First time this has happened to me. R75 2.5 KV6. Drop about 8 km without issues and parked the car. The road was at quite an angle to the kerb so the car was on a tilt to the left. I came back to it about 1/2 hr later and it turned over fine but would not fire. I tried a few times but to no avail. I lifted the bonnet to determine if there was anything obvious but didn't have any tools with me. I wasn't able to tell if it was fuel or spark related. After leaving it for about 5 minutes it started fine.

My concern is that it might happen again in a less convenient place. Any likely candidates?

I've just had the same happen to me on my diesel - see my thread just put up - the RAC reckon it is the in tank fuel pump - so I'm wondering if it is an easy fix.

t5tart 11th May 2015 11:59

was the fuel low ? could have just been not hitting the pickup
I had this with a Volvo of mine moved it off the drive fine only 20 feet then it wouldnt start.. the fuel was low stuck a gallon or 2 in it and it started fine

Avulon 11th May 2015 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 1997028)
If it happens again, my money would be on the camshaft sensor.
I had this with mine, fine when starting from cold but didn't like warm start ups. ;)

:wot: Listen to Bob. You can test the theory by make sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank (well above a quarter full) warm the car up to temperature and stop. Leave it a minute and then try and start it. If it starts turn off straight away and try again. The problem with the camshaft sensor is that without it working correctly the starting will be erratic with a warmed up engine. If it's a fueling issue then it's quite different to the diesel (cunny44 is referring to a diesel which has a different pumping arrangement).

Stag>75 11th May 2015 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 1997103)
:wot: Listen to Bob. You can test the theory by make sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank (well above a quarter full) warm the car up to temperature and stop. Leave it a minute and then try and start it. If it starts turn off straight away and try again. The problem with the camshaft sensor is that without it working correctly the starting will be erratic with a warmed up engine. If it's a fueling issue then it's quite different to the diesel (cunny44 is referring to a diesel which has a different pumping arrangement).

Plenty of fuel in the tank and it drove fine after it started. From reading other threads on the sensor I'm wondering if the angle it was parked perhaps flooded the sensor with oil and whether that may have been the cause.

MangoMan 11th May 2015 12:32

I would go with Bob here - definitely sounds like the Cam Sensor on the way out... Mine played up when I first got the car, replaced it and it's been fine since. ;)

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...8.jpg~original

Stag>75 20th May 2015 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stag>75 (Post 1997108)
Plenty of fuel in the tank and it drove fine after it started. From reading other threads on the sensor I'm wondering if the angle it was parked perhaps flooded the sensor with oil and whether that may have been the cause.

So to finish to story I made plans to get a new sensor and on the day I had to get it the car wouldn't start any time it was warm ....

New sensor in and everything is now fine.

Thanks everyone.

Dorset Bob 22nd May 2015 12:34

I am glad that you got it sorted. :}