The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stereo question (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=179883)

TriumphStag 11th April 2014 09:10

Stereo question

So, on my dad's 53 plate 75 tourer, the stereo works intermittently. Have checked all the wiring and nothing is loose, so am thinking about swapping it out.

Now the stereo is one of the later standard single din sized units, and I was thinking about swapping it for a symphony unit. Would-be wiring be the same? I.e. would it be a plug and play? And second question.... ifbit is - does anyone have one for sale cheap?

Alan123 11th April 2014 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriumphStag (Post 1636506)
So, on my dad's 53 plate 75 tourer, the stereo works intermittently. Have checked all the wiring and nothing is loose, so am thinking about swapping it out.

Now the stereo is one of the later standard single din sized units, and I was thinking about swapping it for a symphony unit. Would-be wiring be the same? I.e. would it be a plug and play? And second question.... ifbit is - does anyone have one for sale cheap?

Himate try on members parts for sale section or look up radioguy

stevestrat 11th April 2014 09:38

Unfortunately it's not plug and play, you will need a suitable adapter harness and if there is a CD player in the boot/glovebox involved you'll need to check it will work with the Symphony.

A while ago I considered swapping my Kenwood head unit for a Symphony because the flashing display on the Kenwood was driving me nuts! However I was advised the Symphony simply wouldn't speak to the Kenwood CD player in the boot, would have had to replace that as well. The Symphony communicates with the CD player via the K-Bus, Kenwood has an independent cable. Kept the Kenwood after discovering how to get rid of the flashing display.

iandux 11th April 2014 09:44

I have a Sony single din unit fitted, but no cd changer and had wondered if I could do the same thing so as to give a more co-ordinated look to the interior

raykay 11th April 2014 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 1636524)
Unfortunately it's not plug and play, you will need a suitable adapter harness and if there is a CD player in the boot/glovebox involved you'll need to check it will work with the Symphony.

The later single DIN units and the Symphony both use ISO connectors, so no adapter leads are needed. The only alteration needed is to remove the K-Bus cable from pin 1 of the power ISO connector, and for the steering wheel controls the cables need to be moved from the green mini ISO connector to pins 2 & 3 of the same ISO connector.

TriumphStag 11th April 2014 10:41

Thanks RayKay. Now all I need is a symphony..... off to eBay I go. (Ccouldn't see anything in the members spares section)

stevestrat 11th April 2014 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by raykay (Post 1636537)
The later single DIN units and the Symphony both use ISO connectors, so no adapter leads are needed.

Ooops, apologies for my dodgy info :o When I was contemplating going from a Kenwood to a Symphony I was advised I'd need a lead.

raykay 11th April 2014 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 1636639)
Ooops, apologies for my dodgy info :o When I was contemplating going from a Kenwood to a Symphony I was advised I'd need a lead.

It is a bit more complicated if you want to change to a Symphony plus the CD changer.

stevestrat 11th April 2014 14:19

Eventually binned the idea Ray. Main thing I had against the Kenwood was the pointless, annoying flashing display. Managed to download a manual for it and discovered the display was in demo mode . . . . who leaves their display in demo mode!