The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Alko spare wheel carrier (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=151784)

ssizefive 4th July 2013 19:05

Alko spare wheel carrier

As you may have read in my previous post i have had problems with the noseweight on my van - daft as it seems the problem may have been so obvious that i didn't think about it :o The spare wheel is in the front locker & as we all know they weigh quite a bit. I figure that if i mount it on a underfloor carrier that goes behind the axle that should sort the problem :}. I have purchased a under floor carrier from a breaker who is local but i have to remove it myself & have not taken any notice of how they mount. Does anybody know what tools i need to take with me to remove it?

Thanks
Steve.

Tin Tent 4th July 2013 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssizefive (Post 1353275)
As you may have read in my previous post i have had problems with the noseweight on my van - daft as it seems the problem may have been so obvious that i didn't think about it :o The spare wheel is in the front locker & as we all know they weigh quite a bit. I figure that if i mount it on a underfloor carrier that goes behind the axle that should sort the problem :}. I have purchased a under floor carrier from a breaker who is local but i have to remove it myself & have not taken any notice of how they mount. Does anybody know what tools i need to take with me to remove it?

Thanks
Steve.

Just looked at mine on the offside there are 4 split pins to remove, nearside is a plastic knob to unscrew which has a clip on a chain to stop in undoing while travelling when knob is removed the carrier can be removed complete, there are 2 rubber gromets on the offside where carrier fitted worth taking those, on nearside you need to take out nut & bolt that plastic knob fitted too in case you need it not sure of size perhaps 17mm but socket set and adjustable spanner should do it. safe towing.

ssizefive 4th July 2013 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Tent (Post 1353323)
Just looked at mine on the offside there are 4 split pins to remove, nearside is a plastic knob to unscrew which has a clip on a chain to stop in undoing while travelling when knob is removed the carrier can be removed complete, there are 2 rubber gromets on the offside where carrier fitted worth taking those, on nearside you need to take out nut & bolt that plastic knob fitted too in case you need it not sure of size perhaps 17mm but socket set and adjustable spanner should do it. safe towing.

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Steve.

Jim Jamieson 4th July 2013 19:52

Make sure you give the sliding tubes a good clean up and re lube them.
Makes for far easier removal of spare if the occasion arises, also if travelling on the continent the carrier can be reversed.

I also placed a plastic elasticated spare wheel cover over my wheel to keep it clean and tidy.

ssizefive 4th July 2013 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 1353342)
Make sure you give the sliding tubes a good clean up and re lube them.
Makes for far easier removal of spare if the occasion arises, also if travelling on the continent the carrier can be reversed.

I also placed a plastic elasticated spare wheel cover over my wheel to keep it clean and tidy.

Thanks for the advice.
Steve.

macafee2 5th July 2013 20:35

the spilt pins on the off side, you must remove all 4 before the black bung will come out. I would replace the split pins for "R" clips. the look very much like a capitol R . so much easier to remove and reinsert

macafee2

HarryM1BYT 10th July 2013 21:22

Remember you cannot just jack the van up via the bare chassis, the chassis has to have reinforced jacking points bolted on.

stocktake 10th July 2013 21:28

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdee0a770.jpg

ssizefive 11th July 2013 21:58

Ended up not getting the carrier as it wasn't the right one so i am still on the lookout. I have brought the van home tonight & put the wheel inside the van over the axle & it has made a difference although i didn't weigh it. I will check the weight tomorrow when it is packed.

Steve.

ssizefive 11th July 2013 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 1358859)

I don't think using that would do it much good :D:D

Steve.