The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coolant loss and mayo on oil filler cap (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=137636)

Steve916 16th February 2013 09:40

Coolant loss and mayo on oil filler cap

Hi guys,
I have recently spotted some mayo on the oil filler cap. I am also having to top up my coolant once a week with about a coffee cup full of coolant. I drive 60 miles every day and the coolant temp never rises above 92 degrees. I also have a rattle when first starting the engine, which settles down after a couple of minutes. Do you think this is a sign of hgf starting?
Any help appreciated as always:}

pab 16th February 2013 09:50

Steve,

When the engine is for started when cold, is it a bit lumpy, trying to misfire?

I'm thinking about the inlet manifold. I know you have changed this for the Alloy VVC version, but it would be my first port of call.

chrissyboy 16th February 2013 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve916 (Post 1223992)
Hi guys,
I have recently spotted some mayo on the oil filler cap. I am also having to top up my coolant once a week with about a coffee cup full of coolant. I drive 60 miles every day and the coolant temp never rises above 92 degrees. I also have a rattle when first starting the engine, which settles down after a couple of minutes. Do you think this is a sign of hgf starting?
Any help appreciated as always:}

it looks that way as you have both coolant lose and signs of mayo, condersation can be ruled out as you are doing long trips ,inlet manifold gasket being the cause wouldnt cause mayo so it would just cause a lumpy idle until coolant had been burnt off.so i would say the signs you have do point towards hgf,

SD1too 16th February 2013 10:36

Quote:

I drive 60 miles every day and the coolant temp never rises above 92 degrees.

Steve,

I would say that a maximum of 92 degrees isn't hot enough, either for a good engine or one with head gasket failure. Try driving in 'econ' mode so that the radiator fan isn't running all the time. You should expect your temperature to approach 100 degrees when stationary in traffic after a run at cruising speed. A thermostat which doesn't close properly will cause low running temperatures which can result in the mayo under the oil filler cap.
Quote:

I also have a rattle when first starting the engine, which settles down after a couple of minutes.
I had this on my KV6 and it was a damaged auxiliary drive belt.

Simon

Steve916 16th February 2013 19:02

Thanks guys for your replies. I got called into work earlier and haven't been home long.
Paul, I'll go over the inlet manifold again tomorrow. There is no sign of any leaks around that area. It doesn't seem lumpy or misfiring, just tappety:shrug:

Chris, as said it isn't lumpy.

Simon, I always thought 92 degrees was a good temperature. When I have asked other 1.8 owners about their temps, they were the same as mine:shrug:
Do you think I should change the prt?
I'll give it a go in 'econ' mode tomorrow.

pab 16th February 2013 19:13

Steve, 92 in my opinion on a 1.8 N/A is about right, The Turbo version slightly hotter around 96.

Check the Inlet for any leakage, The Mayo is a serious issue, have the Head checked out at the earliest opportunity.

Steve916 16th February 2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 1224495)
Steve, 92 in my opinion on a 1.8 N/A is about right, The Turbo version slightly hotter around 96.

Check the Inlet for any leakage, The Mayo is a serious issue, have the Head checked out at the earliest opportunity.

Will do thanks

SD1too 16th February 2013 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve916 (Post 1224485)
Simon, I always thought 92 degrees was a good temperature ... Do you think I should change the prt?

Steve,

I don't think you should change anything yet. 92 degrees is possibly o.k. if your 60 mile trip is at speed on dual carriageways. I'd be interested to know if it rises when you stop, or enter the urban crawl, because I would expect that. I'd like to rule out the possibility of low coolant temperatures before sounding any alarm bells.

Simon

Steve916 16th February 2013 19:30

My journey to and from work is along the A14 dual carriageway at around 70-75mph all the way. There is a small section of local B roads where I have spotted the temp at 94 on occasion.

SD1too 16th February 2013 19:42

Quote:

... and the coolant temp never rises above 92 degrees.

Ahh, so first 92, then 94! :D So when you park at work, does it creep a bit higher, perhaps, maybe? ;)

Simon