The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New FBH mod idea (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=129723)

-Joe 20th November 2012 23:08

New FBH mod idea

My 75 has single zone manual controls for interior heating. I have fitted an LED on the right hand side of the controls, set where the drivers side temp control would have been.

This LED is wired up to my Pektron Meastro timer and illuminates red when the timer is counting down for about 7mins or so as the FBH burns. The LED is bright enough to be seen in daylight yet not so as to dazzle when night driving. In fact it's a great spot to position it. Those with an ATC will have to think of another place, maybe hack at the ATC display unit.

Anyway the idea is for an FBH multi colour status LED. When the ECU activates the FBH my red LED light doesn't come on. Maybe I could wire the LED green in such cases.

Would it be possible to show FBH status, such as starting FBH (blue), Burning (Red), and Purging (green) error (flash)? This can be done with CAN bus maybe like Hans temp gauge? Maybe the pump signal could be displayed with LED in time with the pump ticks.

My FBH has no silencer, and yes you can hear it and just tell by the ticking noise from the back and the fan noise what the FBH is up to, but I find myself winding down the window, turning off the radio etc. trying to suss if it's burning nicely.

HarryM1BYT 21st November 2012 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Joe (Post 1143377)
My 75 has single zone manual controls for interior heating. I have fitted an LED on the right hand side of the controls, set where the drivers side temp control would have been.

This LED is wired up to my Pektron Meastro timer and illuminates red when the timer is counting down for about 7mins or so as the FBH burns. The LED is bright enough to be seen in daylight yet not so as to dazzle when night driving. In fact it's a great spot to position it. Those with an ATC will have to think of another place, maybe hack at the ATC display unit.

Anyway the idea is for an FBH multi colour status LED. When the ECU activates the FBH my red LED light doesn't come on. Maybe I could wire the LED green in such cases.

Would it be possible to show FBH status, such as starting FBH (blue), Burning (Red), and Purging (green) error (flash)? This can be done with CAN bus maybe like Hans temp gauge? Maybe the pump signal could be displayed with LED in time with the pump ticks.

My FBH has no silencer, and yes you can hear it and just tell by the ticking noise from the back and the fan noise what the FBH is up to, but I find myself winding down the window, turning off the radio etc. trying to suss if it's burning nicely.

I think what you are looking for, is my very strsight forward mod which flashes an LED each time the pump is triggered. For every tick from the pump, the LED gives a brief flash. The rate of flash tells you how hard the FBH is burning and the fact that it is burning successfully. So it serves as both a warning light and a useful diagnostic aid.

You might be able to also add an LED on the combustion fan, the brightness of which would show the fan speed.

The can-bus system on the Rover version of the FBH was never fully implemented, so attempting to do it using that is probably a waste of effort.