The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   diesel owners take note!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45411)

superchargedstu 20th September 2009 22:24

diesel owners take note!!

been down to hull from newcastle today. put 25 quid fuel in the car last night at the garage. got halfway to hull this morning and realised i had left my wallet! ******. anyway to cut a long sory short, on the way back north, my fuel light came on with 80 miles to go (just south of disforth on the a1). i thought i would try and chance it by just sticking to 55mph and seeing how i get on. anyways, here i am, at home, and the tank still has some fuel in as the needle isnt touching the warning light yet.

i think with steady driving you can get about 90 miles out of the reserve if needs be!

well impressed with that! lpg is clearly for yuppies!!!

crofts 20th September 2009 23:36

Fuel reserve

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchargedstu (Post 390016)
been down to hull from newcastle today. put 25 quid fuel in the car last night at the garage. got halfway to hull this morning and realised i had left my wallet! ******. anyway to cut a long sory short, on the way back north, my fuel light came on with 80 miles to go (just south of disforth on the a1). i thought i would try and chance it by just sticking to 55mph and seeing how i get on. anyways, here i am, at home, and the tank still has some fuel in as the needle isnt touching the warning light yet.
i think with steady driving you can get about 90 miles out of the reserve if needs be!
well impressed with that! lpg is clearly for yuppies!!!

Maybe so but pray your I/T fuel pump isn't damaged.
I only took my fuel down that low once in 36,000 miles and the pump failed almost immediately. And that was with the use of Millers DPP since new and recent addition of 2 stroke oil. Cost Warranty Direct £422 ! !

mikey_32 21st September 2009 05:49

I don't think it dodgy fuel pumps have anything to do with how much fuel you have in the tank, it's purely down to the luck of the draw, yes a dodgy pump shows up if you've less than a 1/4 of a tank but the pump runs at the same speed delivering the same amount of fuel regardless, as for the Millers, diesel is an oil after all said and done so I really can't see the benefits of adding such to the tank other than false sense of security, my car is an 02 plate remapped, done 201Kmiles still on the same fuel pumps and never added any more than the odd bottle of injector cleaner, seems that the people that add additives to the tank swear by them, but I don't understand how they can claim to do so much when they have nothing to compare against, IMHO it's purely down to the luck of the draw, (you watch I bet my car ends up being recovered today now I've said that) :o

stef_uk 21st September 2009 12:00

i have done over 120k on original pumps and never fill up till its empty(well as good as)...i think if you leave the tank with lots of fuel in any NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- will stay in the bottom of the tank and over time build up..less room for fuel and the higher you will have to keep the fuel to avoid it...just my opinion but it seems to work for me

steve

92 squadron 21st September 2009 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofts (Post 390055)
Maybe so but pray your I/T fuel pump isn't damaged.
I only took my fuel down that low once in 36,000 miles and the pump failed almost immediately. And that was with the use of Millers DPP since new and recent addition of 2 stroke oil. Cost Warranty Direct £422 ! !

WHY would you want to put TWO-STOKE OIL in a diesel fuel tank is beyond me. Is there some benefit in this or am I old fashioned:shrug::shrug::shrug:

billnick 21st September 2009 19:06

Here's why:lol:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...iesel+additive

Bill.

superchargedstu 21st September 2009 19:29

i wasnt implying people should do this all the time. i was merely stating if needed, you can push that much out of the reserve. always a handy thing to know! it was started and driven to the filling station this morning and started absolutely fine. 60 quid later shes still purring!

92 squadron 21st September 2009 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by billnick (Post 390468)

Excellent article, have we any follow up to this? I for one have had my eyes opened to this subject as I thought diesel was and still is a lubricator for the injector pump and injectors. How many are using 2T oil now in relation to Millers. What are the differences between the two ie price and lube properties. What in a few words are the opinions of the Diesel experts among us?
The use of Castrol 'R' cannot be mixed with mineral oil as it is a vegetable oil. [pressing from the Groundnut] unless fully synthetic is not mineral oil [by the why, is fully synthetic mineral oil or manufactured by another process?]
A few questions there for the boffins to get you 'eds round [hopefully]:getmecoat:

martin green 21st September 2009 21:34

My pumps are on 145000 miles still the originals, every week they run down low and i re-fill her up again no effects to the pumps.

I think sometimes we forget they were built to use.......use i shall.

MG.

Jules 22nd September 2009 00:38

Mrs Jules runs her ZT until well after the fuel light comes on!!
(70K original pumps)
I keep telling her .................but that's women for ya.:getmecoat: