The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   UK going back to imperial ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319383)

genpk 30th May 2022 08:58

UK going back to imperial ?

not sure i heard the news right- is the UK going back to imperial measurement?
Surely not, i would have thought as most of the world is using metric it would be better to continue to use it!!

tonybel 30th May 2022 09:09

Looking at the story, it seems that the legal requirement to always show weights and measures in metric - which can then be supported with imperial, may be removed, leaving companies and shops to use imperial only - if they so choose. This is logical now we have left the 200 rules a week EU. For example, the rag trade traditionally uses inches, but was forced to show metric under the EU and in my business we work in grains, but should by law show grams as well. In our case we mostly ignore the rule is as it just causes confusion, with most people not knowing that g means grams and gr grains or the difference, but a bigger company could not take that risk.:duh:

torque2me 30th May 2022 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 2933711)
Surely not, i would have thought as most of the world is using metric it would be better to continue to use it!!

There is already a thread open on this subject!

Kev

stevestrat 30th May 2022 09:15

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=319367

MSS 30th May 2022 09:21

Quote:

There is to be a review, I suspect led by a senior judge or a panel of senior civil servants in the interest of efficiency and optimum use of scarce resources.

With our recently won freedoms, we are searching for new ways to lead the world and, let's face it, no other country in the world would ever think of doing something like this so by default we are demonstrating strength of purpose and leadership on the international stage.

I still have a set of feeler gauges in thou from the 1970s - retention of which I now claim to indicate forward planning and a deep understanding of political/voter trends on my part! :D

grivas 30th May 2022 11:18

Quote:

I heard the same, a longing apparently, for the good old days of hanging work houses, we already have childhood poverty, and food banks , so no need to worry about that, what else can we re-introduce by way of kidding ourselves that GB is an independent ( laugh out loudly, thinking of the 'special' relationship with uncle Sam here no less).

Yep all in all a great way forward from the Tories, after all getting Brexit done has resulted in better all round standards for the average diluted and misguided voter, inflation running wild, energy bills off the scale, fuel prices unheard of, I blame the Russians of course, nothing to do with the incompetent, out of touch, uncaring, lying,( have I left anything out?) pile of horse manure of a government running the country, personally I am not convinced there is anyone in Westminster capable of running the country now, just mediocrity, and general decline in all standards, honesty accountability, decency, respect, etc etc.

Imperial Units, yes that will always win votes.
We are living in the past, but yes IU will always do it for me, can't wait.

Simondi 30th May 2022 11:39

I think that in a time where the cost of living is rising, thousands upon thousands are struggling to pay their bills etc that this is a wonderful use of money by the government - not.
At least those struggling to buy their food will have the choice of using grams or ounces.

The system we have works. Why waste money changing it. I suspect all those who are welcoming their blue passports will be jumping for joy

Avulon 30th May 2022 12:13

Just like the introduction of 'metric' money back in the '70s to replace L, S , (pounds, shillings and pence) You can be sure that any change in the way things are measured/sold will be used as yet another way to artificially hike the real price of goods. As far as I can work out there's only 1 reason we hadn't yet switched road distances and speeds to Kmh - the cost of replacing the signs and the confusion that could legitimately arise.

torque2me 30th May 2022 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 2933736)
The system we have works. Why waste money changing it. I suspect all those who are welcoming their blue passports will be jumping for joy

It only works seamlessly if that is the only system learnt. Not so good if one's schooling was in IU, used from teenage years for at least 30 years, have failing memory (dementia etc.) and then have to grapple with a new system (albeit one that should, in theory, be simpler).

Blue Passports? Are they not made in Denmark or another such EU country?

Kev

MSS 30th May 2022 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2933739)
I............

Blue Passports? Are they not made in Denmark or another such EU country?

Kev

Of course the real and important - perhaps even life-changing - question to ask is whether the passport size and colour is to be stated in IU or Metric. :getmecoat: