The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   continue water leak (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296346)

bilsan330 4th June 2019 15:11

continue water leak

I am back again with my loss of water....New head gasket fitted 2 months ago...dont ask how much over £1000.

I am still putting 1/2 pint of water in the header tank every 2/3 days...but I think at long last I have found where it goes...

So I need confirmation.....In the engine compartment left hand side under where the pedals are there is a hose type outlet...When I filled the header tank up I notice water dripping from this pipe.

Question:::Is this coolant water coming out via the heater it looks like an overflow pipe.....But why ???? is the coolant and heater water connected.

Advise please

COLVERT 4th June 2019 16:13

The heater and coolant are connected.

Do you have air-con ???

bilsan330 4th June 2019 16:53

continued water loss

Yes I have air con...

The engine was not running nor was the air con on...as said when I filled the header tank up I could see this water coming out of the pipe under the engine left hand side. could this be how I am losing water as I would notice this if I was driving

slovcan 4th June 2019 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilsan330 (Post 2738209)
Yes I have air con...

The engine was not running nor was the air con on...as said when I filled the header tank up I could see this water coming out of the pipe under the engine left hand side. could this be how I am losing water as I would notice this if I was driving

Are you actually filling the header tank up? The correct level is just up to the word MAX near the bottom of the header tank. So, when at the correct level, the tank will look almost empty.

Just trying to confirm the level you are filling it to.

Cheers,
Glenn

COLVERT 5th June 2019 09:13

As the above post. It is VERY important you are filling the header tank to the correct level.
Shining an LED light up from 'under' the header tank will make it easy to see the correct level marker.

T-Cut 5th June 2019 10:20

This is 'Full'

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b6...00nrw8wn6g.jpg

TC

bilsan330 5th June 2019 11:56

continued water loss

Yes I am doing that correctly..I can see the mark to fill too.

I have check all the hoses inside and out..If I fill to the level and go on a 20 mile trip the next day all the water has gone....Is it coming out of the pipe I have mention...because I can see water coming out sometimes from it...

I had new head gasket and new inlet manifold New Radiator.

None of the carpets are wet.

Big mystery to me

SD1too 5th June 2019 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilsan330 (Post 2738185)
In the engine compartment left hand side under where the pedals are there is a hose type outlet...When I filled the header tank up I notice water dripping from this pipe. Advise please

Bill; that sounds to me like the heater flow or return. You'll need to crawl under the car and inspect it at close quarters. Perhaps you have a pinhole in the hose or a split, or maybe a connection is leaking.

Simon

SD1too 5th June 2019 12:12

What does this photo actually show?

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2738353)

T-Cut; I suggest that this photograph shows an overfilled tank and not the correct level.

My expansion tank is filled correctly to the internal 'Max' marker. The level is much lower than that shown in your photograph. In fact, if I view my tank neck from the same angle, the coolant is not visible at all!

I look forward to your comments.

Simon

T-Cut 5th June 2019 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2738372)
T-Cut; I suggest that this photograph shows an overfilled tank and not the correct level.

Nit-picking.

The photo shows the level maybe 5mm above the Max marker. Convince me on physics, that it's overfilled. Other than it not toeing the party line, you can't.