The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Key fob remote failing - fixable? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302513)

hogweed 30th January 2020 14:59

Key fob remote failing - fixable?

My original remote fob had been used so much there was actually a small hole worn in the “open” button, so a few years ago I got Terry at TS Autos to do me a spare, and have been using it ever since. However, today it failed to open the car. Eventually, after much shaking and pressing, it did, and I ran for home.

The little red light didn’t flash as I pressed either key – then eventually it did, and got the car open. Now it isn't again. I changed the battery, but that didn’t help.

It’s working intermittently, so I’ve reverted to the original old key. Do I need to get a new spare, and go through all the same palaver with getting the EWS unit taken out and read etc, or is there anything else I can do?

Ta :bowdown:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...2fdf932ebd.jpg

vitesse 30th January 2020 15:07

Take the remote board out and examine, sounds like one of the switches has failed.
I've used secondhand remote boards and reprogrammed them with Toaf using MarinaBrian's hack (or Trevor's). No need to remove anything and all done in five minutes.

Regards

Ps. The EWS is just for the transponder side of things, the remote board talks to the BCU (body control unit)

hogweed 30th January 2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2789978)
Take the remote board out and examine, sounds like one of the switches has failed.

Thanks – don’t think so, sadly… when it stops working, neither switch flashes the red light or operates the car lock. I did take it out, but can’t see anything obviously wrong.

Quote:

I've used secondhand remote boards and reprogrammed them with Toaf using MarinaBrian's hack (or Trevor's). No need to remove anything and all done in five minutes.

Ah, OK, so maybe I could slip somebody here a few Shekels to do that for me…

Quote:

Ps. The EWS is just for the transponder side of things, the remote board talks to the BCU

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up :bowdown:

roverbarmy 30th January 2020 15:37

If you are handy with a mini soldering iron:-
repair kit
;)

marinabrian 30th January 2020 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2789989)
If you are handy with a mini soldering iron:-
repair kit
;)

The switches aren't right though ;)

hogweed 30th January 2020 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2789991)
The switches aren't right though ;)

And I can't see them both failing at once, Brian :shrug:

marinabrian 30th January 2020 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2789998)
And I can't see them both failing at once, Brian :shrug:

Both switches, or both fobs Roger?

I've got the correct switches, but I'm waiting of the Valeo housings I recently ordered to arrive as I won't use the £2.50 and a green apple rubbish from eBay.

I had planned to do no more of these, but I keep getting nagged :getmecoat:

Brian :D

hogweed 30th January 2020 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2789999)
Both switches, or both fobs Roger?

Both switches on the fob Terry did, Brian. When it fails, neither switch works; when one does, the other does too... that's why I thought it was the battery, but no.

hogweed 30th January 2020 16:07

Just experimented a little more... repeated pressing of either button produced no red light, and the car didn't react. Banged it on the wall a couple of times, and it's working fine again - for now.

Anything that could be loose inside?

roverbarmy 30th January 2020 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2790002)
Banged it on the wall a couple of times, and it's working fine again - for now.

Anything that could be loose inside?

Before or after you banged it on the wall?:duh: