The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   No going back now....................... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=278066)

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 13:36

No going back now.......................

........................................... 2018 is looking up for me. Yesterday I completed the first stage of selling my flat in Barkingside. A very nice, and knowledgeable, young lady took me through all the do's & don'ts about selling and buying. Especially as I've never done anything like this before, lived in the flat all my life, I was even born here.

Mum moved in 1940 with my Big Brother and her sister, Dad was away fighting those pesky foreigners. The property was built in 1937, so we was the second owners. Dad came home unscathed from the fight, although he had landed on the beaches with the 11th Armoured Brigade. They went into Germany via Belgium.

When Dad came home, Mum's sister moved out. In 1949 my Big Brother asked Mum & Dad if he could have a bike for his birthday and Xmas present. But I turned up instead.
My Big Brother left to do his National Service, loved it so much he signed up for another 9 years, not sure what the RAF were letting themselves in for. He met his first wife whilst serving in one of those far away distant places, Chippenham in Wiltshire.
Dad bought the flat in 1969 for £752.8s.10d. No mortgage, just a bank loan through the Westminster bank, before they became the NatWest.

We lost Dad in 1982, and I stayed at home to look after Mum whose health was not too good. And still holding down a full time job. Met my Val who moved in. Mum had to explain to the home help why all these dresses suddenly appeared in my room over one weekend. Mum passed away in 1991.

Val and I decided to move in 1999 but Val fell and broke her hip, first day of a new job as well. So we put the move on hold. Soon it was 2003 and again we put the flat up For Sale but fate stepped in again when Val had a slight stroke. Again on hold.
Then came her car crash in 2007 followed by all the other events that finally saw her in hospital, The Royal London, after one fall too many in 2009. Then she moved into a nursing home the same year.

I was determined that one day she would be home, to a new home, as I had decided to sell and buy a ground floor flat. But fate just does not play fair, and again on hold. December 2010 saw Val take the hands of the Angels.
I tried twice more, 2013 & 2015, to sell up but I pulled the plug twice. Too many memories kept getting in the way.

But now with the loss of my brother, in November 2017, there is nothing to hold me back. Plus my outside stairs are a nightmare. I have slipped going down and fell up once. What really hurt, I was sober each time it happened. On one occasion I spent nearly 2 hours laying at the bottom of the stairs in the rain, before I was discovered by a neighbour.

So now, no going back. Decision is final. Nice little bungalow in Cornwall has my name on it. And a garage for Banana, or even a bigger one and I can get the Bear and Redfive in as well, with a bit of parking outside for one or two others. Well I will need a run around, last run around I bought was the V8.

I've started clearing the loft. Be a few bits coming up For Sale on here and on the bay.
I'll keep you all informed of my progress, and I'll still be attending the occasional meet. Only been to two so far this year. The mini tours will be on hold for awhile, although.....................................!!!!! !

Reebs 14th January 2018 13:47

It all sounds exciting Bob, have fun with the search for the right place and yes, you'll need a garage or two I reckon for your fleet. What part of Cornwall are you looking at?

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 2583827)
It all sounds exciting Bob, have fun with the search for the right place and yes, you'll need a garage or two I reckon for your fleet. What part of Cornwall are you looking at?

Anywhere really. Not too close to the beach, not too far from a pub.

RPWC 14th January 2018 13:56

If you come north then Bob,after moving, you will need to find a member to stay with on the way up.

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2583835)
If you come north then Bob,after moving, you will need to find a member to stay with on the way up.

I'll bring the Bear and sleep in the back on a petrol station forecourt.:cool:

Ravinder 14th January 2018 14:14

Good luck, Bob.

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2583854)
Good luck, Bob.

Thanks Rav.
Keith had a Yorkshire pud with his breakfast this morning.

Dallas 14th January 2018 14:37

Congratulations Bob, I can see Banana being a permanent ray of sunshine in Cornwall. :D

freddie 14th January 2018 15:14

Good luck with the move Bob.

mininuts 14th January 2018 15:17

Nice one Bob and good luck with move. Be great to have a garage to keep my V8 in :D

Great post too :bowdown:

Rev Jules 14th January 2018 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2583835)

He is more than welcome to stay with us in Radcliffe, if he does as anyone else wants to visit.

Rev

Ravinder 14th January 2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mininuts (Post 2583889)
Nice one Bob and good luck with move. Be great to have a garage to keep my V8 in :D

Great post too :bowdown:

You mean your new BMW ‘Mini’...:eek::D

Ravinder 14th January 2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2583831)

More like Cornflakes.

LotusLC 14th January 2018 16:04

Hard move to do but a new chapter for you Bob. Hope it all goes nice and easy . I have always fancied visiting Cornwall, so maybe one day we will pay you a visit.

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusLC (Post 2583936)
Hard move to do but a new chapter for you Bob. Hope it all goes nice and easy . I have always fancied visiting Cornwall, so maybe one day we will pay you a visit.

You will more than welcome for a visit. I'll just hide the keys to the Bear.

stevestrat 14th January 2018 16:28

Good luck clearing the attic Bob. When we were moving I couldn't believe how much cr@p we'd accumulated up there.

trikey 14th January 2018 16:34

Im off now to buy shares in Healeys :D:D

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2583959)
Im off now to buy shares in Healeys :D:D

And what makes you think I'll be investing in Rattler, hic(!).

trikey 14th January 2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2583965)

Hmmm let me think.....;)

david75 14th January 2018 16:59

Best wishes, Bob. I hope it all works out for you.

RPWC 14th January 2018 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusLC (Post 2583936)

Same here
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2583955)
You will more than welcome for a visit. I'll just hide the keys to the Bear.

Now I will have no excuse not to, long way to tow caravan, so will have to find a halfway point somewhere.

keithst24 14th January 2018 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2583965)

Mmmmm did someone mention Rattler :drool4:

sworks 14th January 2018 18:44

Good luck with the move Bob

steve-45 14th January 2018 20:15

Good luck to you Bob, I am pleased that things are looking promising for you.

Cornwalls gain is our loss, you will be much missed in the South East.

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2018 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2584142)
Good luck to you Bob, I am pleased that things are looking promising for you.

Cornwalls gain is our loss, you will be much missed in the South East.

My intention is to keep coming up to London every 4 months, and will make the occasional appearance at the odd meet.

FLYING BANANA 15th January 2018 12:08

Stage 2 completed of the move.

Had the 2nd visit from the estate agent today. Paid the deposit required. Booked the professional photographer, not allowed to use my own photo's, and they do a audio tour as well. Booked the ECP people to come in and test the performance rating.
Waiting for the For Sale board to go up.

Getting quite excited about moving. Really looking forward to a new and fresh start.

Oh! Well! Back to sorting out the loft.

Cable Tie 15th January 2018 12:20

We're looking forward to you being closer also we enjoy your company and banter glad you've made the decision off your own back and finding your new home of your choice we're here if help is needed as you always

timspencer 15th January 2018 12:25

Good look Bob, hope all goes well, I get far too sentimental about things and its sometimes held me back....it is after all bricks and mortar and you need to enjoy life.

Amazing how the prices of houses change, £752 in todays money is still less than £9000! for a property worth ££££ today.

I too hope to retire to the coast in years to come! (many years)

stevestrat 15th January 2018 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2584339)
Oh! Well! Back to sorting out the loft.

Watch yourself getting stuff out of the loft Bob. When we moved a few years ago I did my shoulder getting heavy stuff down, twisted it awkwardly and did something to the joint. Any heavy lifting, especially above shoulder height, sets it off again and because the damage is in the joint painkillers don't help.

Snetty 15th January 2018 13:33

Hope all goes well with the move, there can't be many nicer places in this island of our that beat Cornwall.

FLYING BANANA 15th January 2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2584355)
Watch yourself getting stuff out of the loft Bob. When we moved a few years ago I did my shoulder getting heavy stuff down, twisted it awkwardly and did something to the joint. Any heavy lifting, especially above shoulder height, sets it off again and because the damage is in the joint painkillers don't help.

Even shifting the stuff around up there has been fun. The loft has a good floor but even so the amount of stuff to come down is amazing. I've managed to sort out bits that I will be keeping, then there is the eBay stuff, some bits that can go to the charity shop and finally the rubbish.

Will continue sorting it all out on Wednesday. And the EPC people are coming on Wednesday as well.

Being taken out tomorrow for my belated birthday dinner by my lovely niece.

elroy 15th January 2018 15:21

enjoy the meal Bob, and all the best with your move :}:}

FLYING BANANA 17th January 2018 12:27

Stage 3 completed today.

Had the chap come to measure the ECP ratings, and the professional photographer turned up the same time. One was early and t'other was late. But they knew one and other and managed to work round ok.
The man from ECP was impressed with my model car collection, and when I uncovered the two Lamborghini's I thought he was going to have a seizure.

The photographer just took it all in his stride, minus his shoes. For some obscure reason he takes better pictures without his shoes on. They both then went outside, the photographer put his shoes back on, and took photo's of the flat. Front, rear and side.

The solicitor's have been in contact. So the ball is well and truly rolling now.
Am I having second thoughts? Well no actually, for once it appears my mind is well and truly on the right track. Really starting to get a buzz from all of this.

I told my brother-in-law, and my niece, yesterday my news. They were both quite shocked about my decision but very happy for me. Laura my niece could not stop hugging me and constantly telling me how proud Val would have been. A couple of times the memories rolled down my cheeks.

We had a lovely meal at the Orange Tree on Totteridge Common. My brother-in-law, Michael, insisted on paying. Thank goodness tor that as the meal came to the equivalent of filling the Bear up at least twice, Banana once and Redfive with the odd change.

actros 17th January 2018 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2585065)
Had the chap come to measure the ECP ratings, and the professional photographer turned up the same time. One was early and t'other was late. But they knew one and other and managed to work round ok.
The man from ECP was impressed with my model car collection, and when I uncovered the two Lamborghini's I thought he was going to have a seizure.

The photographer just took it all in his stride, minus his shoes. For some obscure reason he takes better pictures without his shoes on. They both then went outside, the photographer put his shoes back on, and took photo's of the flat. Front, rear and side.

The solicitor's have been in contact. So the ball is well and truly rolling now.
Am I having second thoughts? Well no actually, for once it appears my mind is well and truly on the right track. Really starting to get a buzz from all of this.

I told my brother-in-law, and my niece, yesterday my news. They were both quite shocked about my decision but very happy for me. Laura my niece could not stop hugging me and constantly telling me how proud Val would have been. A couple of times the memories rolled down my cheeks.

We had a lovely meal at the Orange Tree on Totteridge Common. My brother-in-law, Michael, insisted on paying. Thank goodness tor that as the meal came to the equivalent of filling the Bear up at least twice, Banana once and Redfive with the odd change.

Love your stories Bob.:bowdown:

NigelOBB 17th January 2018 15:59

Good luck Bob,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas 17th January 2018 17:32

All the best Bob, its all sounding very positive for you. :}

Keep posting, and I'll keep reading. :}

FLYING BANANA 18th January 2018 10:22

Got my first viewing tomorrow................................

.................................................. .. But first I had to read and take in the questions I had to answer from the solicitor's. Must have been nearly 40 pages of questions, most went over my head. So I fired up the printer and connected the lap top and printed them all off. Found the paperwork that they wanted copies of. Once that was done I poured myself a large malt.
Will take the paperwork to the a Estate Agents and ask them to help me with the questions.

Earlier in the day I got a lot of boxes down from the loft of the stuff that I want to sell, my good friend Emma is going to sell it all on my behalf, or dump it if she feels it's not worth much.
So with the boxes down and into the hall I started sorting through some of it. But put that idea on hold as dinner time was approaching. So with the nose bag out of the way, and the solictor's paperwork printed off, I sat down and continued to sort through the boxes, with the help of another malt.

Storm? What storm? Best nights kip I've had for a long time. Once up, showered, dressed and a spot of breakfast I was off down to the Estate Agents where the manager, David, sat me down and proceeded to fill out all the paperwork for me. I just had to sign and date each section. Brilliant help, I could not have done without his help. The only item I had not brought me was a copy of my bank statement, so whilst I toddled off to the bank to get a copy he scanned all the forms.

Once I was back he went through all the forms again to double check, then my mobile rang. It was one of the agents in the office phoning me to confirm my first viewing. She could hear a mobile ringing, David said to me just to play along then whilst replying to her walk over to her desk. Laugh! They have a grand sense of humour.
Then David put all the forms into a envelope, put the correct postage stamps on and then went and outside and popped the envelope into the post box.
Now that's what I call excellent service.

Well, at least the flat is nice and clean for my first viewing tomorrow. I figured out how to empty the vacuum cleaner, judging by what was in there it was possibly the first time I had emptied it.

planenut 18th January 2018 10:36

Great stuff Bob, I wish you well with the sale and the future, big steps.

I have decided that due to the amount of stuff in my loft and garage, I haven't got enough years left to sort them, so I've bequeathed it all to my son and daughter, they don't seem impressed.

Sorting those boxes, could lead to some other plans for the future, good luck.

Rev Jules 18th January 2018 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2585461)
Great stuff Bob, I wish you well with the sale and the future, big steps.

I have decided that due to the amount of stuff in my loft and garage, I haven't got enough years left to sort them, so I've bequeathed it all to my son and daughter, they don't seem impressed.

Sorting those boxes, could lead to some other plans for the future, good luck.

Hi Fred on another subject how is your back, better I hope.

Rev

planenut 18th January 2018 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2585462)
Hi Fred on another subject how is your back, better I hope.

Rev

Thanks Jules, improving, but Bob should be careful as it's so easy to "over-reach" ones abilities.

FLYING BANANA 18th January 2018 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2585467)
Thanks Jules, improving, but Bob should be careful as it's so easy to "over-reach" ones abilities.

Very true, I now ache in my knees and back.

Bogbrush82 18th January 2018 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2583831)

Wadebridge and Truro spring to mind.

Good luck with the move - might even see the banana next time I'm down there! :}

FLYING BANANA 18th January 2018 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2585617)
Wadebridge and Truro spring to mind.

Good luck with the move - might even see the banana next time I'm down there! :}

You will always be welcome to pop in for a cuppa.

FLYING BANANA 19th January 2018 18:09

The first viewing went ok but.............................

...............................................The 2nd did not.

Mr & Mrs & the estate agent were due at 11.30am, well Mr & the estate agent turned up at 11.10am. Ok by me I like people to be early. Had a nice chat and the chap was well impressed with how clean and tidy my flat was. He also liked the fact that I had lived there all my life. They left telling me he would be in touch. That sounded good to me.

At Noon the phone rang and it was David, the estate agents manager, he told me that my first client had made me an offer but it fell 25k short of my base asking price. I declined his first offer. Waiting to see if he is going up the price.

The 2nd viewing, was again with a Mr & Mrs plus the estate agent, at 5pm. Plenty of time in between to get some shopping done plus a few jobs, still sorting out cupboards. Well 5pm came and went, no sign of anyone and no phone call. Then at 5.30pm there came a knock on the door, and there stood just the chap, no Mrs or the estate agent. The chap gave me his name and informed me that he was supposed to be viewing no.268 at 4.30pm before coming on to view my place.

By nearly 5pm he gave up waiting for the estate agent, who was not answering her phone. So he left his wife in the car outside no.268 whilst he came along to view mine. My arrangement with the estate agent was they were to come along with the client. Not for the client to turn up on there own. But against my better judgement I let him in.
But he did not stay long, he left saying that he would go back to no.268 to see if anyone was there. Then he would be back a bit later. Oh! No! Said I. I was going out at 6pm and that was that.

I tried phoning the agent who was due to accompany the client, but it just rang. I then phoned the office, David the manager answered and apologised. He said he would contact the agent concerned and let me know what had gone wrong, again he apologised.
Still have not heard anything. It will not be happening again as I will go along to the office in the morning and ask for an explanation. It's just not cricket, is it chaps.

So now fed, washed up and chillin' in front of the fire with a smallish(!) malt. Oh! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

RPWC 19th January 2018 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2585975)
...............................................The 2nd did not.

Mr & Mrs & the estate agent were due at 11.30am, well Mr & the estate agent turned up at 11.10am. Ok by me I like people to be early. Had a nice chat and the chap was well impressed with how clean and tidy my flat was. He also liked the fact that I had lived there all my life. They left telling me he would be in touch. That sounded good to me.

At Noon the phone rang and it was David, the estate agents manager, he told me that my first client had made me an offer but it fell 25k short of my base asking price. I declined his first offer. Waiting to see if he is going up the price.

The 2nd viewing, was again with a Mr & Mrs plus the estate agent, at 5pm. Plenty of time in between to get some shopping done plus a few jobs, still sorting out cupboards. Well 5pm came and went, no sign of anyone and no phone call. Then at 5.30pm there came a knock on the door, and there stood just the chap, no Mrs or the estate agent. The chap gave me his name and informed me that he was supposed to be viewing no.268 at 4.30pm before coming on to view my place.

By nearly 5pm he gave up waiting for the estate agent, who was not answering her phone. So he left his wife in the car outside no.268 whilst he came along to view mine. My arrangement with the estate agent was they were to come along with the client. Not for the client to turn up on there own. But against my better judgement I let him in.
But he did not stay long, he left saying that he would go back to no.268 to see if anyone was there. Then he would be back a bit later. Oh! No! Said I. I was going out at 6pm and that was that.

I tried phoning the agent who was due to accompany the client, but it just rang. I then phoned the office, David the manager answered and apologised. He said he would contact the agent concerned and let me know what had gone wrong, again he apologised.
Still have not heard anything. It will not be happening again as I will go along to the office in the morning and ask for an explanation. It's just not cricket, is it chaps.

So now fed, washed up and chillin' in front of the fire with a smallish(!) malt. Oh! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

That’s house selling for you Bob, my dad had similar problems when he sold our house years ago.

harrisop48 19th January 2018 21:06

House selling

Bob,

Selling your home is one of the highest causes of stress known to man.
Just try and stay severely chilled and do not let it get to you.
Julien can vouch for this.Surprised he still has some dark colour in his hair.
Come to think of it may be from a bottle.
We moved here 32 years ago, exchanged contracts and were due to move on the Friday. Tuesday I checked with the vendor everything was OK to be told they were not moving until Tuesday week. This mirrored what they had agreed when they bought the house. Maybe their vendor had already moved out.
I suggested they should urgently consult their Solicitor who would explain the extensive financial penalties if they failed to vacate the property on the Friday.

Keep pouring the Malt. Minimum 3 fingers.

Peter.

planenut 19th January 2018 21:22

As Peter says, try to chill.It is early yet and only fifty per cent dodgy, you're ahead of the game. Don't expect anything, then everything else has got to be a bonus.

FLYING BANANA 19th January 2018 21:40

Many Thanks for the advice, and the pm's, it is much appreciated.

Will try to chill and think of positive things, like is Julians hair colour really out of a bottle!!!!!

dave lincs 20th January 2018 12:05

Hope all goes well for you Bob :D

FLYING BANANA 20th January 2018 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave lincs (Post 2586225)
Hope all goes well for you Bob :D

Thank You Dave.

HarryM1BYT 20th January 2018 15:40

I have often thought that I ought to move somewhere nicer, now I'm retired and no work commitments, but I don't have the courage needed nor enough inclination.

Beside this place has pretty much all I need to sustain my life and a lot of memories of the past 40 years. Its just an ex-council semi, but it has lots of garden, biggest in the street by far and all well set up over those years to suit me/us - luxury compared to my origins.

I began life in a tiny rented back to back, followed by a move to a slightly larger (but still too small) horrible back to back, before I moved out to be on my own in a variety of HMO's. Soon after which, my parents were at last moved to a decent semi, with modern facilities. Well I was never at home much anyway, always working away, living in hotels. I even sold up completely when I took a 12 month contract in Italy. After my return yet another small flat, then I moved in with my first partner who was paying rent for this place at the time. We soon decided it would be a good opportunity to use the Right to Buy, it had just been fully refurbished, so we bought it and never looked back. Over the years, I have improved on the (very) raw edges of the refurb. and its now worth some 15x what we paid for it back then.

My first partner passed away 31 months ago after a long illness, a struggle which got us both down. I expected I would live a very lonely and difficult existence rattling round the place on my own, so determined I would have to find a new partner fast, so I used a dating site. One potential suitor whom I never got as far as meeting, wanted me to consider that we should each sell up our properties so we could buy a much better property with our combined moneys. Between us we could have managed around 3/4 million with our savings - I agreed I would be interested in possibly doing that, then I discovered she was also a religious nut, so that was the end of that. That was as near as ever got to even considering a move. I ended up with Jean, or maybe she ended up with me :eek:.

Trouble is, I have invested a lot of time, sweat and effort in this place - I have done all that has needed to be done here for the past 40 years. Too much to give up for mere money:cool:.

macafee2 20th January 2018 16:05

Bob Cornwall is a whole new world to Barkingside!
I'm glad you have the courage to move as your home has been your home for life.

Hope all goes well.
Have you a place in Cornwall all lined up?

We live in the house my wife dreamed of living in when she was a child. If our son was to move North, we would probably move north as our daughter is already 200 miles north of us.

all the best Bob

macafee2

FLYING BANANA 20th January 2018 16:24

And breathe...............................

............................................. Only had one viewing today, and that wasn't till 2.45pm.

Slept really well last night and as a result it took me awhile to get into my usual stride. Decided to sort a couple of cupboards out, seeing as it pouring down outside. Then the phone rang, viewing for next Saturday. Oh! Well! Best make a coffee then I'll start. Phone rang again, another viewing for tomorrow at 11am.

Pulled the contents out of the two cupboards and started working my way through lots of........erm!............well stuff, lots of it. Then the phone rang, another viewing for Tuesday 2.45pm. As I put the phone down it rang again, this time it was the manager, David, he apologised for the mix up last night and he hoped it had not put me out too much. I was going to go down to the shop and complain but seeing as he phoned I left it at that.

Soon the time came around for my afternoon viewing. This time Simone, the estate agent, was with the couple. The Mrs paid me a couple of nice compliments saying how neat and tidy the flat was, especially for a single man living on his own. I thanked her and explained that I had two excellent teachers, my mum and my wife. After they left I decided to get some washing on and get my dinner prepared, then the phone rang. Was it ok for a couple to come this evening at 4.45pm. Yes fine by me.

Mr & Mrs plus 1 child turned up on the dot. Very nice people. They really liked the flat, I explained that the kitchen and the bedroom could easily be swapped back, I had not bothered as I rather liked the large kitchen.
After they left I got dinner ready. Once washed up and with the washing machine finished. Clothes onto the horse. Tea made,.............................and breathe !!!

Might have to have another malt later.

FLYING BANANA 20th January 2018 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2586321)
Bob Cornwall is a whole new world to Barkingside!
I'm glad you have the courage to move as your home has been your home for life.

Hope all goes well.
Have you a place in Cornwall all lined up?

We live in the house my wife dreamed of living in when she was a child. If our son was to move North, we would probably move north as our daughter is already 200 miles north of us.

all the best Bob

macafee2

I rather like Saltash, just over the border from Devon. But not too bothered, would like to be fairly near to the coast but not too far from a pub.
I'll be going down that way next month, still have Redfive to collect. So that can be done at the same time.

Having never ever moved in my life it's a all new experience for me, and providing I keep myself, and my mind, busy I'm hoping it will all run smoothly.

And thank you for your kind words.

topman 20th January 2018 16:46

A woman lived near where I grew up, she was born in the house (living room) then when her parents died she carried on living there. Brought up two sons and ended up dying in her bedroom in the night at 90. Rented the whole time, I think there was about 4 or 5 LL. I bet she paid enough rent to pay for it several times over.

Me I had 3 moves in the past 7 years or so, reckon they'll be another in the summer.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread. Good luck with the move. Hope it all goes smoothly. :}

Jim Jamieson 20th January 2018 16:49

Good luck with the new chapter in your life.
Sounds like you need a fresh start but hold on to those memories.

wraymond 20th January 2018 19:19

Reading your thread with great interest and wish you well with your move. Incidentally, my wife is a Barkingsider (Fencepiece Road).

Your reference to Saltash sparked me off. Spent 8 years living there in the 80's and was reluctant to return to the delights and fleshpots of S/E Essex. While we were waiting for our new house to be built we rented a quarryman's cottage in Burraton, walls three foot thick and in the summer alive with basking snakes.

The people were warm and friendly and most of my leisure was spent raising money with the local Lions club, a guarantee of a busy social life. Very handy for Plymouth with wonderful river trips up the Tamar and easy access to the rest of the county and Devon. Incredible for motor biking over the moors - idyllic. My social life was wonderful, I recommend the Sailing Club. If you settle on that town you'll enjoy it. Best of luck.

FLYING BANANA 20th January 2018 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2586445)
Reading your thread with great interest and wish you well with your move. Incidentally, my wife is a Barkingsider (Fencepiece Road).

Your reference to Saltash sparked me off. Spent 8 years living there in the 80's and was reluctant to return to the delights and fleshpots of S/E Essex. While we were waiting for our new house to be built we rented a quarryman's cottage in Burraton, walls three foot thick and in the summer alive with basking snakes.

The people were warm and friendly and most of my leisure was spent raising money with the local Lions club, a guarantee of a busy social life. Very handy for Plymouth with wonderful river trips up the Tamar and easy access to the rest of the county and Devon. Incredible for motor biking over the moors - idyllic. My social life was wonderful, I recommend the Sailing Club. If you settle on that town you'll enjoy it. Best of luck.

A fellow forum member, "Ratty", lives in Saltash and collects boats, as we collect cars. "Ratty", (Allen), is currently restoring a boat, and when I've been at his house I been out to the boatyard to help. I've been on the river with Allen from Landrake to Saltash. In the spring he is going to take me fishing, yet something else I have never done.

I cannot wait to move, might just trade one of the cars for a boat. But that's the future, first I need to move.

macafee2 20th January 2018 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2586334)
I rather like Saltash, just over the border from Devon. But not too bothered, would like to be fairly near to the coast but not too far from a pub.
I'll be going down that way next month, still have Redfive to collect. So that can be done at the same time.

Having never ever moved in my life it's a all new experience for me, and providing I keep myself, and my mind, busy I'm hoping it will all run smoothly.

And thank you for your kind words.

I got my 75 from "near" Saltash I think. Met the lady in a station car park and the car was in a "barn". All the things you should not do, I did.

Lovely area I'm sure you will like it

macafee2

jackatesme 20th January 2018 21:02

Good luck with your move to Cornwall, will look out for you in the summer,intending to retrace my roots down that way. My mothers family originated around Bodmin Moor area. Myself i have moved five times in 72yrs,all within 200yds of the house i was born in.:}

FLYING BANANA 21st January 2018 19:16

Just when you think............................

.............................................. You'll get away with a cracking day.

This selling business is all new to me, not used to people turning up at different times, via appointments, it has thrown me out a bit. So I decided no viewings after Noon today. Need a bit of time to myself.

So, the only viewing today was at 11am. Nice couple with a wee child. Had a good look round and I answered all there questions. And they left.
The rain had now turned to snow, not settling to begin with, but then it was settling mainly on the cars. I had planned to attend the MGRSE meet at the Halfway House, been revived from being mothballed awhile back. But decided against going.

So the plan was to chill out and gave a leisurely lunch and watch the snooker on the box. Then the phone rang, it was my good friend Bob, fancy a beer he asked, about 4pm in the Unicorn. Mmmmm!!!!! Ok then said I. So my lunch was not so leisurely, watched a bit of the snooker. Hat, gloves and coat on and down to the pub. I left the gas fire on low, be nice and toasty when I got home. Left the porch light on and to the pub I went.

Came home to total darkness, other than the glow of the gas fire. We've had a power cut. Must be the first one for about 5 years. So I rang national grid who informed that there was a problem. The engineers had made a temporary repair and would be back tomorrow to carry out a full repair. TOMORROW!!!!!!!! What about my elderly neighbour's? How were they supposed to cope. Not the fault of the bloke on the other end of the phone.

Oh! Well! At least the iPad has power, hence this report. And I have a good supply of candles. Plus a reasonable stock of single Malt.

Just have to wait then.........................

I spy with my little eye something beginning with D.....................

Lordy 21st January 2018 19:40

All the very best Bob looking forward too your updates and tours you have In mind. :D

LotusLC 21st January 2018 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2586861)
.............................................. You'll get away with a cracking day.

This selling business is all new to me, not used to people turning up at different times, via appointments, it has thrown me out a bit. So I decided no viewings after Noon today. Need a bit of time to myself.

So, the only viewing today was at 11am. Nice couple with a wee child. Had a good look round and I answered all there questions. And they left.
The rain had now turned to snow, not settling to begin with, but then it was settling mainly on the cars. I had planned to attend the MGRSE meet at the Halfway House, been revived from being mothballed awhile back. But decided against going.

So the plan was to chill out and gave a leisurely lunch and watch the snooker on the box. Then the phone rang, it was my good friend Bob, fancy a beer he asked, about 4pm in the Unicorn. Mmmmm!!!!! Ok then said I. So my lunch was not so leisurely, watched a bit of the snooker. Hat, gloves and coat on and down to the pub. I left the gas fire on low, be nice and toasty when I got home. Left the porch light on and to the pub I went.

Came home to total darkness, other than the glow of the gas fire. We've had a power cut. Must be the first one for about 5 years. So I rang national grid who informed that there was a problem. The engineers had made a temporary repair and would be back tomorrow to carry out a full repair. TOMORROW!!!!!!!! What about my elderly neighbour's? How were they supposed to cope. Not the fault of the bloke on the other end of the phone.

Oh! Well! At least the iPad has power, hence this report. And I have a good supply of candles. Plus a reasonable stock of single Malt.

Just have to wait then.........................

I spy with my little eye something beginning with D.....................

DrivetheV8toYorkandleaveinmydrive

Am i right Bob ? :D:bowdown:

FLYING BANANA 21st January 2018 19:52

Love the answer Gary.:bowdown::bowdown:

trikey 21st January 2018 20:12

Keep the candles well away from the malt!!!!!

FLYING BANANA 22nd January 2018 08:00

Power back on for almost everyone....................

............................................... You can guess who the two flats without power? Yup! Us. Downstairs and me, upstairs. After both of us, my neighbour and I, repeatedly phoned National Grid a couple of engineers arrived at 11.45pm. They first checked the sub station. All ok there. But no power from the street into downstairs. That's where my power comes in as well.

1am and another van arrives with two more engineers. Now they need one of the cars taken off of the hard standing, neither being mine. So Hayley, my neighbour, moves her partners car off and parks up in the road. ((Her other half is away on a course)).

2.30am and a third van arrives towing a generator, which is now parked on the hard standing, and both wheels are clamped. Connected the cables up to the power supply downstairs and hey! Presto! We have power.
Well at least all the stuff in the freezer was saved. Just now have to re-set the clock on the cooker.

HarryM1BYT 22nd January 2018 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2587030)
We have power.
Well at least all the stuff in the freezer was saved. Just now have to re-set the clock on the cooker.

:wantpics:

If you are on a genny, its pointless setting any clocks - they will need resetting when they put you back on mains supply..

FLYING BANANA 22nd January 2018 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2587088)
:wantpics:

If you are on a genny, its pointless setting any clocks - they will need resetting when they put you back on mains supply..

Would love to post pictures but the lap top refuses to post them on here. Been like that since the forum had some downtime before Xmas. As for the cooker clock you need a PHD in science to figure it out.

Dallas 22nd January 2018 14:35

Quote:

............................................... You can guess who the two flats without power? Yup! Us. Downstairs and me, upstairs.

There must be a big trend in electric cars in your street Bob. :eek:
All your neighbours plugged in there EV's all at the same time and used up everyone's power. lol :D

Quote:

2.30am and a third van arrives towing a generator, which is now parked on the hard standing, and both wheels are clamped.

Blooming ek! :eek:
Well done to vans 1, 2 & 3 for coming out to your rescue Bob, that is what we like to see... great stuff. :clap:

planenut 22nd January 2018 14:59

Hey, is "Genny" nice looking?, has she got a mate?

FLYING BANANA 22nd January 2018 15:25

Flat provisionall SOLD

Well that didn't take long then. Obviously there is still some way to go but the offer is almost right on the nail. Still clearing stuff away.

Not sure how I feel at the moment. Happy or sad? Not sunk in yet. I've been told that I'm incredibly brave in deciding to do this all on my own. Not sure I would use the word brave, stupid more likely.

Now to get into seriously looking for a place in Cornwall, now that I have a price range to look into.

Will keep you all posted.

Many thanks for all the kind words, advice and ideas. Again lots of thanks for the reassuring kind pm's received.

coolguy 22nd January 2018 17:46

I absolutely love Cornwall, and have spent over 60 holiday weeks there since 1983 (going down again in May). However, my one word of advice is to carefully check on the local amenities, as many of the villages are delightful, but lack many of the day to day facilities which we take for granted - fine for a weeks' holiday but not for life!

Hope the sale of your property goes well (and quickly), but be prepared for a few glitches along the way - that's the norm I fear these days. Shall be very interested to know where you finally settle - there are many great value properties available.

Most of all Good Luck - it will be great.

FLYING BANANA 22nd January 2018 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2587295)
I absolutely love Cornwall, and have spent over 60 holiday weeks there since 1983 (going down again in May). However, my one word of advice is to carefully check on the local amenities, as many of the villages are delightful, but lack many of the day to day facilities which we take for granted - fine for a weeks' holiday but not for life!

Hope the sale of your property goes well (and quickly), but be prepared for a few glitches along the way - that's the norm I fear these days. Shall be very interested to know where you finally settle - there are many great value properties available.

Most of all Good Luck - it will be great.

Many thanks for the advice. I have an idea of where I would like to live and already know the area quite well. Places of interest like pubs and petrol stations to be researched.

pbaker 22nd January 2018 17:59

The Move

Hi Bob. When I saw you at Denham the other day and u mentioned the move it did not quite sink in as I was getting to go to Harlow to sell the 75 to a Romainian in the dark. sad day for me. only came across this post an hour ago. perhaps u can now take up surfing the sea as well as surfing the net!!. Please let know when u are leaving/moving so I can buy u a malt or two. By the way when u get a net connection will u put up some piccies up of Denham meet with me and my new suit and the rest. or maybe to my mobile. love to see u before u leave. peter. ex 75 man now getting to like the new MG ZS XMAS day present.

HarryM1BYT 22nd January 2018 18:12

Cornwall was my regular holiday haunt through my teens and early twenties, usually walking tours and camping, when it was still unspoiled/un-crowded. I have had the odd holiday down there since, but it just wasn't the same.

I have often thought I would like to retire down there or somewhere similar (Wales, Scotland), but I'm conscious of the fact that I would be loosing out on so much that I have where I am - a 15 minute bus service, a town and a city with large hospital facilities just 8 miles away, a supermarket and a shopping high street just a ten minute walk away - but lacking the constant annoying drone of traffic.

Yeti 22nd January 2018 18:23

I would be loosing out on so much that I have where I am - a 15 minute bus service, a town and a city with large hospital facilities just 8 miles away, a supermarket and a shopping high street just a ten minute walk away - but lacking the constant annoying drone of traffic.[/QUOTE]

I have all of these in Exmouth, although the high st shopping is better in Exeter about 8-10 miles away as is the large hospital

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FLYING BANANA 23rd January 2018 13:21

Totally overwhelmed..............................

.................................................. ........... by all the offers to help whether is to help move or the paperwork. Totally amazed on how quick this has all happened. It's not sunk in yet.

My brother-in-law has offered to look after The Bear for me, going to leave her in his driveway. It's OK he will not drive it, he can barely drive the car he currently has. If it looks impossible to hit anything, he'll give it his best shot and usually succeeds. But he has heart of Gold and I love him to bits.
He has offered to let me stay when I'm back in London at anytime. His daughter wants to come over and help me pack.

My neighbour across the way, where Banana parks, has offered with any paperwork that may need explaining, and there's a lot of that. My neighbour downstairs has told me not to lift anything heavy out of the loft, he will do that. Wait till he see's the desk we have to dismantle. The loft was going to be my office/workroom whilst the new kitchen would have been Val's domain. Bought the biggest desk I could find in Ikea and built it up in the loft. Anyone want a 5' wide desk? Seriously if anyone wants? 5 draws, 1 cupboard and a glass cover on the top.

There's a drop leaf table to come down as well. Was reluctant to get rid when the flat had it's makeover back in 2009. A bit of sentimental value to it as well. My dad bought it from a furniture store in Forest Gate East London. The name of the shop was 'Courts', as you know they became a massive chain before going bust a few years ago. And it's good quality as well.

Got my good friend John coming to me tonight from work. He is going to stay over tonight as we are off to Baliffe Bridge to collect The Bear tomorrow. I have to be home by 7pm as I have yet another person that wishes to look at the flat.
Back down to the estate agents on Thursday morning, and out to dinner Thursday evening with a couple of friends and maybe a beer or two.

Going to have a chill out day on Friday, meeting my brother-in-law in the Founders Arms on the South Bank in London for a beer or two.
Saturday I have more people wishing to view. Nothing is cast in stone till the contracts are signed and the money is in the bank.

We still have the generator supplying our power, they came this morning and filled it up with more go-go juice. No sign of them coming to dig up the road yet.
Well I'll have to love and leave you for now. Got dinner to prepare for my guest.

Many thanks for all the kind words of help and support.

Rev Jules 23rd January 2018 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2587640)
.................................................. ........... by all the offers to help whether is to help move or the paperwork. Totally amazed on how quick this has all happened. It's not sunk in yet.

My brother-in-law has offered to look after The Bear for me, going to leave her in his driveway. It's OK he will not drive it, he can barely drive the car he currently has. If it looks impossible to hit anything, he'll give it his best shot and usually succeeds. But he has heart of Gold and I love him to bits.
He has offered to let me stay when I'm back in London at anytime. His daughter wants to come over and help me pack.

My neighbour across the way, where Banana parks, has offered with any paperwork that may need explaining, and there's a lot of that. My neighbour downstairs has told me not to lift anything heavy out of the loft, he will do that. Wait till he see's the desk we have to dismantle. The loft was going to be my office/workroom whilst the new kitchen would have been Val's domain. Bought the biggest desk I could find in Ikea and built it up in the loft. Anyone want a 5' wide desk? Seriously if anyone wants? 5 draws, 1 cupboard and a glass cover on the top.

There's a drop leaf table to come down as well. Was reluctant to get rid when the flat had it's makeover back in 2009. A bit of sentimental value to it as well. My dad bought it from a furniture store in Forest Gate East London. The name of the shop was 'Courts', as you know they became a massive chain before going bust a few years ago. And it's good quality as well.

Got my good friend John coming to me tonight from work. He is going to stay over tonight as we are off to Baliffe Bridge to collect The Bear tomorrow. I have to be home by 7pm as I have yet another person that wishes to look at the flat.
Back down to the estate agents on Thursday morning, and out to dinner Thursday evening with a couple of friends and maybe a beer or two.

Going to have a chill out day on Friday, meeting my brother-in-law in the Founders Arms on the South Bank in London for a beer or two.
Saturday I have more people wishing to view. Nothing is cast in stone till the contracts are signed and the money is in the bank.

We still have the generator supplying our power, they came this morning and filled it up with more go-go juice. No sign of them coming to dig up the road yet.
Well I'll have to love and leave you for now. Got dinner to prepare for my guest.

Many thanks for all the kind words of help and support.

Hi Bob.
Its a massive upheaval, we had lived at our old address for 52 years, and we made a snap decision to downsize, it took 12 weeks for two parties to make their mind up about buying our house and we had packed everything we were going to take with us and sold a lot of other stuff we did not want, still had not found a removal company at that point in time, then out of the blue
on a Monday afternoon a phone call, they wanted to exchange contracts and move in on the following Thursday, panic is not the word, we found a small company to move us, loaded everything Wednesday, for the off first thing Thursday, the guy we had bought the Bungalow off of, said we could move in that day, because we could not sign the contract until the Friday.

Bob all I can say is the very best of luck and we do hope your move wont be so traumatic,

Dawn and Julien

FLYING BANANA 24th January 2018 04:21

Been awake since 4am..................................

................................................. Not used to all this excitement. Really starting to sink in now about me moving. Second thoughts? No. None at all. In fact I cannot wait to go. Be off down to the West Country next week, yes a mini tour, to suss out the lay of the land.

My visitor arrived in plenty of time before dinner. Gave him time to have a shower and to relax, works in a environment that is ever changing. I cooked a very nice steak with a blue cheese dressing, served up with some healthy salad and a few potato wedges. All my own work, no packet stuff except for the steak. Otherwise I'd be up for cattle rustling. Had two very good teachers when it comes to cooking. Mum taught me the basics and Val taught me the fancy stuff. I love cooking and having a visitor allows me to show my cullinery skills, OK! Ok! Allows me to show off.

No dessert but we did have some cheese and biscuits later on with a large glass of, wait for it, vintage port. Well a couple, then. We talked about lots of things, John spoke about his family, his troublesome neighbour and his job. Me! Well I just rabbited on about moving, the power cut, moving, collecting the "Bear" today, and of course about moving.

Soon it was time to chase those fluffy little clouds, set our alarms. I gave John my bed and I 'roughed' it in the front room. Got my 'ole faithful' sleeping bag. Had it since it was a small pouch, and at nearly 40 years old it still keeps me warm and cosy. Only weighs in at 16oz, unlike me who weighs in a bit more.

We are leaving about 6am for our long haul up North, will stop for some brekkie on the way, no doubt I'll nod off in the car. Makes a change me being a passenger on a long trip. But, oh! The noise will keep me awake on the way home.
Keeping the "Bear" at home for a couple of days, and visits to the petrol station. Then she will be off over to Michaels for a couple of weeks till I'm ready to move her down to our new home.

Thanks for reading.

Snetty 24th January 2018 04:39

The Truckers Cafe at Colsterworth, is worth stopping good food and reasonble on the wallet. Have a safe trip.

FLYING BANANA 24th January 2018 17:38

SOLD sign up.........................

............................. Got home from collecting the Bear to find the Sold sign up.
And the National Grid engineers turned up and, wait for it, put safety barriers round the generator. Took photo's of there handy work and got back into their van and left. Wonderful.

The journey up to Brighouse went all ok as far as Milton Keynes and then the heavens opened. The motorway turned into river. We slowed but idiots were zooming past at 70mph, and most had no lights. John, my chauffeur, is an advanced driver so I knew I was in safe hands.
Then we hit a jam, the matrix advised us that there was a 90 minute delay between junctions 35-37.

We came off early and cut across country through scenic but wet views. We even saw lots of snow. We finally got to Brighouse at 11am, five hours after leaving home. Found Chris and Dawn. We had a good look at the V8 coupe that Chris has built. 32 valve SV unit installed. Runs, steers and stops. Looks stunning in the colour they have chose. Has a flip in the paint. Colour is Blue Grape.

Dawn, bless her, made us some much wanted tea. Then with me settling up the bill we was off home. Chris gave us directions for the M62. I stopped and topped up the Bear's tank plus filled John's car, diesel Fiesta. Then we was off. Plain sailing on the M62, dropped down onto the A1 and stopped at Bumble Bee's diner. First garage past the Ferrybridge services, south bound.

Cracking full breakfast for each of us. Then we said our goodbyes as we were not planning to stop anymore, John's home is Darenth in Kent. oh! Well! That did not go quite to plan. The weather was grim all the way to the M11 via the A14. The Bear lead the way with the Fiesta Ridin' shotgun. All going swimmingly well till junction 7. Then stationary traffic on the M11. No idea why. We both pulled onto the hard shoulder. I told John to follow me once we was off the motorway.

Said our goodbyes, again. I then lead John off at junction 7 and onto North Weald, then into Chipping Ongar. Stopped again and showed John the way to get to Brentwood then he could get back onto the M25 and over the ski jump and home.
My route took me through Stanford Rivers, Abridge, Chigwell and into Barkingside. Home, kettle on and chill.

The Bear has never ran so sweet. Used 'Alf a tank over the 195 miles.

A huge Thank You to John, Chris, Dawn and Paul for all there help with "Pooky Bear".

RPWC 24th January 2018 17:50

So flat sold, bit reckn it will take about 3 months before tou move Bob? Going by the way things move up here.

Cable Tie 24th January 2018 18:08

Glad your home safe and sound bob speak to you soon

FLYING BANANA 25th January 2018 10:51

Thought it was running too.................

.................................................. ....... smoothly. There is a bone of contention between the estate agents and the buyer. When the flat was built it did have 2 bedrooms. But back in 2002 Val decided that she wanted a bigger kitchen. So the front bedroom was converted to a kitchen. Power cables and water pipes were routed through the loft.

I stated to the estate agent that the flat was a ONE bedroomed flat, but could easily be converted back. Well I thought so. But the estate agents marketed it as a 2 bedroom. Again I pointed out it was not. But they carried on. Now the buyer knew that it had only 1 bedroom but listened to me when I said that I thought it could be changed ok.

So last night he popped in, phoned me first to ask if it was ok. He measured up the old kitchen and said there is no way it could be made into a 2nd bedroom. (( It measures roughly 71 inches from doorway to window and 79 inches wide)). He is now talking to his father, who is a builder, to see how much it would cost to change the two rooms back.

Not my problem but both he and the estate agents, I was in there shop this morning, have hinted that he may want to buy at a reduced price. I'm not keen on reducing the price anymore.

Meanwhile the National Grid engineers are here digging up the pavement to find out why we have no power. Got used to the generator humming away, only 'cos it don't know the words. lol
Back up into the loft and get the stuff down ready to take to the tip.

FLYING BANANA 25th January 2018 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2588086)
So flat sold, bit reckn it will take about 3 months before tou move Bob? Going by the way things move up here.

Ahh! But everything moves at a slower pace up North. This is London and everything moves at twice the speed of sound.

WillyHeckaslike 25th January 2018 11:04

Sorry to hear that Bob. Given the stacks of interest in your flat so far in its short time on the market I too would be very reluctant to reduce the price. Sounds to me like the intending buyer might be trying it on, if I'm not mistaken the offer to buy was after a viewing so the layout should not and will not have come as any surprise. I would stand firm on the price for now. :viking:

FLYING BANANA 25th January 2018 14:56

With a bit of silver foil from..................................

........................................... From a old packet of fags and some well used insulating tape, the power is back on. The generator has been silenced. The mini digger, midget with a shovel, has been packed away. The lads came up and made sure I had my power back on, now that was thoughtful of them.

Still not heard anything from the estate agents or the proposed buyer. Either they are in discussion or down the pub.
Been and taken some more rubbish down to the tip in the Bear. Then treated the Bear to a nice soft hand wash at the East European place and then into the go-go juice station to top up her tank.

macafee2 25th January 2018 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2588289)
.................................................. ....... smoothly. There is a bone of contention between the estate agents and the buyer. When the flat was built it did have 2 bedrooms. But back in 2002 Val decided that she wanted a bigger kitchen. So the front bedroom was converted to a kitchen. Power cables and water pipes were routed through the loft.

I stated to the estate agent that the flat was a ONE bedroomed flat, but could easily be converted back. Well I thought so. But the estate agents marketed it as a 2 bedroom. Again I pointed out it was not. But they carried on. Now the buyer knew that it had only 1 bedroom but listened to me when I said that I thought it could be changed ok.

So last night he popped in, phoned me first to ask if it was ok. He measured up the old kitchen and said there is no way it could be made into a 2nd bedroom. (( It measures roughly 71 inches from doorway to window and 79 inches wide)). He is now talking to his father, who is a builder, to see how much it would cost to change the two rooms back.

Not my problem but both he and the estate agents, I was in there shop this morning, have hinted that he may want to buy at a reduced price. I'm not keen on reducing the price anymore.

Meanwhile the National Grid engineers are here digging up the pavement to find out why we have no power. Got used to the generator humming away, only 'cos it don't know the words. lol
Back up into the loft and get the stuff down ready to take to the tip.

not sure if I have misunderstood. From what you say he has measured the wrong place, you say old kitchen, surely it should be the new kitchen that gets measured as that was a bedroom

macafee2

FLYING BANANA 25th January 2018 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2588396)
not sure if I have misunderstood. From what you say he has measured the wrong place, you say old kitchen, surely it should be the new kitchen that gets measured as that was a bedroom

macafee2

No, it's the old kitchen that he wanted to measure.

FLYING BANANA 27th January 2018 07:54

Getting silly now........................................

.................................................. . phone went yesterday morning, it was the mother, Debbie, of the lad who lives downstairs to me. She wanted to buy the flat. I explained it was technically 'sold'. "No, I want your flat". she nearly burst my ear drum with her reply. I explained the situation to her but she insisted she still wanted the place for her eldest son.

So on my way out to London I went into the Estate Agents and explained, and lo and behold they knew all about it. Strange she had not mentioned that she had contacted them. Had she seen the flat? No I said. Well it's best that she views the flat before making a counter offer.
This is all beyond me. Anyway Debbie is coming to view today at 2pm.

So off to London I went putting the Sale at the back of my mind. I would ask my brother in law's advice, we was meeting for our "start-to-the-New Year-beer" at the Founders Arms on the South Bank of the Thames. The pub sits between Blackfriars railway station and the Tate Gallery. We met and believe it or not we sat outside as it was a lovely day. And the beer was Youngs Special Bitter at £4.75 a pint.

I relayed all the current info about the sale of the flat to him. And he told me his views which all made sense to me. After awhile we ventured on to our second haunt at the Sir John Betjeman at St. Pancras station. A bit cheaper here, well 5p cheaper. We supped the brew made by Sharps specially for this pub, Betjeman Ale, and whilst we chatted sitting outside, my phone rang and it was Actros, Brian was phoning up to make sure I was Ok. But with the sound of the station behind I was unable to reply.

So I went inside the pub and around towards the loo's, in the passageway outside, and phoned him back. We had a chat about The Bear. With our goodbyes I went back outside via the bar to get a couple more beers and the phone rang again, this time it was the expected call from the estate agents. The original buyer had now submitted a lower offer on the flat as he needed to take into account how much he would have to spend to convert the flat back to two bedrooms. I told the estate agent that I would think about and phone back today.

Michael advised me to see what Debbie was going to offer and then go from there. We said our goodbyes, till Monday when I take The Bear over to his house. She will be staying in his driveway till I move. And with lots of beer inside me I wandered off home.
Once home, I made something to eat. Put the heating on and promptly fell asleep in the chair.

Dallas 27th January 2018 09:06

Bob, Lets hope Debbie wants the flat that much she will be prepared to pay the full asking price, it does sound promising, especially as she wants the flat for her son. :}

It will be nice to turn down the other guys offer, he may then up the game, you never know. :shrug:

FLYING BANANA 27th January 2018 14:53

Well, that's that then,............................

............................................. Following on from the recent saga I have now taken the flat off of the market. It is no longer For Sale through the estate agents. The original buyer has now decided to lower his offer even further. I said no, and with that the estate agents have been badgering me to accept his offer.

Out of blue this morning two people turned up to view, as far as I was aware there were no more bookings. I phoned the estate agents and was told that these people were booked to come and look. Well, I have no email or text confirming this. The agents gave the names of the people and after asking for proof of ID, I let them in. Very nice couple, very happy with the layout, loved the loft and complimented me on how clean and tidy the place was. Said they would let me know.

With that I was about to leave when the doorbell rang. Three more people had come to view. No, no, no more. Phoned the estate agents and guess what it had slipped there mind to tell me. I then refused to let the people in and told them why. They were not very nice about it in their reply. So that started me thinking about taking it off of the market.
I locked up and went to meet a fellow forum member, Peter B, to collect some bits for me to take down to Ian in Dorset.
Peter's wife made me a nice cuppa and we chatted. Peter told me the story about the rear hatch struts which had travelled half way around the world from Rimmer Bros., 13,500 miles to be precise. All because someone in the local sorting office had re-directed the parcel.

Said my goodbyes after having another look at Peter's brand new MG ZS. Nice but not for me, although I don't think Peter is too keen on it either. But it was a Xmas present from his children. Think Peter wants another Rover 75 CDTi.
Driving home and my mobile rang but I refuse to use my phone whilst driving.
Once home I found I had 3 missed calls from the agent. Could they re-book the missed viewing, no was my reply. Then had I considered the new offer from Mr K. Yes I had but the answer was no.

Made myself a nice cuppa and decided that enough was enough. Really starting to stress me out, had that sickness feeling in the pit of my stomach. Felt tired and seemed to be in another world. Then I remembered Debbie was coming to see me. Well why not I thought. Nothing to lose.
Debbie arrived with her hubby, and her ex-hubby and their son. Never had so many people in my flat all at one time.
We chatted about the flat. Turned out that ex-hubby is a builder and present hubby is a property investor.

I told them of my decision to take the flat off of the market and the reason why. Debbie, bless her told me to sit down and sent her son, Sam, into my kitchen to make some tea. We had a long chat and they helped to put my mind at ease. Told me not to get stressed, but after drinking Sam's idea of making tea I though about opening the Malt whisky.
What followed was as if a huge weight had been taken off of my shoulders, and did we laugh.

So what now? Well I'll still be looking to move to Cornwall after all, as I have now sold my flat to Sam, and at the best price possible. I have been told that I can take my time in finding somewhere to live and there is no pressure to move out.
Debbie ushered the others out of the front room as she could see I was close to tears. She have me a huge hug and told me not to worry about anything. After they left, I did cry a bit. More from relief than anything else.

So on Monday I will be telling the estate agent to take the board down and stick it somewhere.

Snetty 27th January 2018 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2589123)
............................................. Following on from the recent saga I have now taken the flat off of the market. It is no longer For Sale through the estate agents. The original buyer has now decided to lower his offer even further. I said no, and with that the these people were booked to come and look. Well, I have no email or text confirming this. The agents gave the names of the people and after asking for proof of ID, I let them in. Very nice couple, very happy with the layout, loved the loft and complimented me on how clean and tidy the place was. Said they would let me know.

With that I was about to leave when the doorbell rang. Three more people had come to view. No, no, no more. Phoned the estate agents and guess what it had slipped there mind to tell me. I then refused to let the people in and told them why. They were not very nice about it in their reply. So that started me thinking about taking it off of the market.
I locked up and went to meet a fellow forum member, Peter B, to collect some bits for me to take down to Ian in Dorset.
Peter's wife made me a nice cuppa and we chatted. Peter told me the story about the rear hatch struts which had travelled half way around the world from Rimmer Bros., 13,500 miles to be precise. All because someone in the local sorting office had re-directed the parcel.

Said my goodbyes after having another look at Peter's brand new MG ZS. Nice but not for me, although I don't think Peter is too keen on it either. But it was a Xmas present from his children. Think Peter wants another Rover 75 CDTi.
Once home I found I had 3 missed calls from the agent. Could they re-book the missed viewing, no was my reply. Then had I considered the new offer from Mr K. Yes I had but the answer was no.

Made myself a nice cuppa and decided that enough was enough. Really starting to stress me out, had that sickness feeling in the pit of my stomach. Felt tired and seemed to be in another world. Then I remembered Debbie was coming to see me. Well why not I thought. Nothing to lose.
Debbie arrived with her hubby, and her ex-hubby and their son. Never had so many people in my flat all at one time.
We chatted about the flat. Turned out that ex-hubby is a builder and present hubby is a property investor.

I told them of my decision to take the flat off of the market and the reason why. Debbie, bless her told me to sit down and sent her son, Sam, into my kitchen to make some tea. We had a long chat and they helped to put my mind at ease. Told me not to get stressed, but after drinking Sam's idea of making tea I though about opening the Malt whisky.
What followed was as if a huge weight had been taken off of my shoulders, estate agents have been badgering me to accept his offer.

Out of blue this morning two people turned up to view, as far as I was aware there were no more bookings. I phoned the estate agents and was told that and did we laugh.

So what now? Well I'll still be looking to move to Cornwall after all, as I have now sold my flat to Sam, and at the best price possible. I have been told that I can take my time in finding somewhere to live and there is no pressure to move out.
Debbie ushered the others out of the front room as she could see I was close to tears. She have me a huge hug and told me not to worry about anything. After they left, I did cry a bit. More from relief than anything else.

So on Monday I will be telling the estate agent to take the board down and stick it somewhere.

Congratulations, good luck with the next step.
Though your problems have put me off moving for life:D

Ravinder 27th January 2018 18:11

Congratulations, Bob. Seems like a stressful few days but hopefully all now resolved and no nasty surprises.

Gate Keeper 27th January 2018 18:28

A good job Debbie came through for you Bob and she could see the emotional roller coaster you have been going through. It looks as though it’s going to work out for you with no pressures from Debbie, what with her friendship and commitment to buy. Have another Whiskey and relax, you’ve earned it :}

RPWC 27th January 2018 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2589123)
............................................. Following on from the recent saga I have now taken the flat off of the market. It is no longer For Sale through the estate agents. The original buyer has now decided to lower his offer even further. I said no, and with that the estate agents have been badgering me to accept his offer.

Out of blue this morning two people turned up to view, as far as I was aware there were no more bookings. I phoned the estate agents and was told that these people were booked to come and look. Well, I have no email or text confirming this. The agents gave the names of the people and after asking for proof of ID, I let them in. Very nice couple, very happy with the layout, loved the loft and complimented me on how clean and tidy the place was. Said they would let me know.

What followed was as if a huge weight had been taken off of my shoulders, and did we laugh.

Stick,it somewhere, I wonder where that " somewhere" could be?:}:D Possbly it begins with A and has 3 more letters.

stevenicks 27th January 2018 22:15

Another word for NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- perhaps Rich :shrug::eek::getmecoat:

Timbo.P6 28th January 2018 00:03

Really hope everything goes smoothly for you ,from now on,and you have a lovely life in Cornwall, We,ll be following you but not for a few years yet, grandkids who live with us,wont be finished school for another 6 years, :eek:
Was always a plan to retire to either Ibiza or Cornwall, but we dont like the way things are going in Ibiza now,government are upping prices of everything,to try to make the island a place for the rich only, Hotels that were £50 a night last year,is £200 a night this year !!. 3 star hotels have to shape up and become 4 star hotels and 4 star have to become 5 star, its a shame ,away from the stag/hen crowd its a lovely island, but think this year will be our last holiday there,
So Cornwall will be our final home, swmbo has a lot of family down there,so we wont be 100% incomers,:D
Wishing you all the very best for the future,

FLYING BANANA 29th January 2018 16:03

Onto the next stage we go......................

......................................... As we have now parted company with the estate agents. This decision has given me a boost.
Took the Bear over to Michaels and parked her up on the driveway. Quite pleased with myself in reversing into the drive, and at my first and only attempt. Looks the part on the drive.

Then indoors where Laura, my niece, had made a pot of tea. Had a lovely chat before Michael insisted we popped along to the 'Orange Tree' on Totteridge Common for a swift half.
A couple of halves later I left as I had to get home via the tube. Northern Line as fas the Bank and onto the Central line and home.

Tomorrow we start our mini tours off for 2018.

FLYING BANANA 14th February 2018 12:18

Update.........................

...................................... on the sale of my flat. I have now completed the paperwork sent to me by the "new" buyer's solicitor. Even managed to find the EPC report on the GOV.UK website.
This time I have kept a copy of all the questions and my answers.

Been back to Devon/Cornwall twice over the last month looking at property. But will wait till i have a deposit before continuing my search, although i do have a viewing next week booked. Plus I may take the Bear for a good run, I did go over to Michael's last Monday and started her up. Not only that but I'm getting Banana withdrawal symptoms.

Still sorting out stuff to be moved. Emma has sold quite a few items on eBay for me. Been in contact with a local removal company. So everything is running OK this end.

Many thanks for the PM's and advice.

The mini tours will continue, along with a few meets. Just to keep my eye in, so to speak.

FLYING BANANA 16th February 2018 13:14

Started packing away non-essential..............................

................................................ stuff, oh! My. I never knew I had so much stuff, most of it I'll never have a use for. Looks like I'll be attending a few boot fairs over the next fem months. So far I have packed up roughly 32 boxes including what's still in the loft.

The biggest challenge so far was packing away my model of the cutaway section of HMS Victory. Glad I kept the polystyrene packaging from the Pocher showcase. Along with a quilt cover and a cut down whisky box it is now safely packed. (( No whiskey was hurt or drunk in the cutting down)).

I never realised how many drinking glasses I had, so far two large plastic boxes full along with another box that my mate is going to have. That box contains 6 wine glasses with matching decanter all with a special engraving on, "Garfield" the cat cuddling his Teddy Bear, "Pooky". Was a wedding present to Val and I back in 1993. Think the decanter got used once and the glasses no more than three times. Also going to my mate is two pairs of very special whisky glasses.

Next big job will be packing away the model car collection, that will be fun. Then the rest of the non-essential stuff in the front room.
Doing all this on my own, tiring but with lots of happy memories. There have been a few memories that have rolled down my face.

So far I have two boxes going to the tip with things that would not have looked out of place on Noah's Ark.

topman 16th February 2018 15:22

Are you taking those 32 boxes with you or are they going into storage?

FLYING BANANA 16th February 2018 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 2596501)
Are you taking those 32 boxes with you or are they going into storage?

Taking them with me as there is bound to be something I cannot find.

breakfastinsmethwick 20th February 2018 21:30

My parents used to rent a holiday flat occasionally above some shops in Newquay in Cornwall. One year when I was about 11 in 1976 I was roughed up by the (much older) son of a shop keeper, egged on by his father. My crime was being a holiday maker and not being Cornish.

I still recall the fear today and have generally avoided Cornwall ever since. I’d love to meet the son and his father today. I’ve grown a bit since then.

FLYING BANANA 21st February 2018 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick (Post 2598218)
My parents used to rent a holiday flat occasionally above some shops in Newquay in Cornwall. One year when I was about 11 in 1976 I was roughed up by the (much older) son of a shop keeper, egged on by his father. My crime was being a holiday maker and not being Cornish.

I still recall the fear today and have generally avoided Cornwall ever since. I’d love to meet the son and his father today. I’ve grown a bit since then.

Well, once I'm settled in you'll be more than welcome to come and visit. I'll even promise not to "rough" you up a bit.

FLYING BANANA 21st February 2018 07:23

The next stage is...........................

..................................... Waiting on the buyers mortgage provider in making appointment with me to come and view the flat, to see if it is worth the asking price. Which now put's everything on hold. I've stopped packing things into boxes as I've run out of room to store anything. Again had to cancel any viewings down the West Country until these mortgage people have been.

But I did go up into the loft yesterday armed with some tools to dismantle the IKEA desk that is up there. When Val was alive she wanted a bigger kitchen so that's why the spare bedroom was converted. So I had the loft partially converted into my office and workroom. We went out and bought this Alve desk from IKEA and I built it up there.

Only tools needed were a 6lb club hammer, not really. Just needed a Phillips screwdriver and a Allen key. 12 locking keys, 2 screws and 16 Allen bolts and it was dismantled. If you look on the Market page you'll see it up For Sale.
Got rid of all the rubbish down the tip.

And today the sun is out to melt away the frost, so I'll go and sort the garden out. I'll be taking all the potted plants plus the contents of the shed. And I know there is stuff that needs chucking away. So that will be another trip to the tip.

RPWC 21st February 2018 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2598293)
Well, once I'm settled in you'll be more than welcome to come and visit. I'll even promise not to "rough" you up a bit.

Does that mean you'll rough him up a LOT then Bob?:D:D

breakfastinsmethwick 21st February 2018 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2598293)

That’s the best offer i’ve Ever had.

FLYING BANANA 21st February 2018 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2598304)
Does that mean you'll rough him up a LOT then Bob?:D:D

If he wants roughing up then you'll have to come down and work him over with your chamois leather.

RPWC 21st February 2018 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2598314)
If he wants roughing up then you'll have to come down and work him over with your chamois leather.

Dont use one, not even on the car. Vould bring the hard brush down if you like.:D

FLYING BANANA 28th February 2018 19:16

The weather has put a block.........................

............................... On the house hunting. Will need a snowplough soon.
The mortgage provider, the one the the buyer is using, apparently have been trying to contact me. Well, I haven't moved, still here. I think they have been given the wrong phone number, not by me by the way.

I've been in contact with the buyers Dad who has told me the business about the mortgage provider. Anyway I have passed on my landline number as well, hopefully they will contact me in due course.

So as I've not been venturing out I have started packing away my extensive model car/plane/train and ship collection. Spent 6 hours boxing them up today, and not even half way through. But some of the collection has brought back many a memory. Val bought me quite a few rarities which I'll be keeping for a few years yet.

Naturally enough there is a large MG ZT collection plus a few MG SV's and Lola MG's. There is a MG ZR saloon and a MG Express in the making. That's without the Roils-Royce collection, some very rarities in amongst this lot.
Jaguar XJ 220's are another collection with a few rare ones all in 1/12th scale. We have two East Midland police cars, plus a one Grampian Police car, one of only 99 made. And one in kit form, waiting to be built.

The two 1/8th scale Lamborghini's will be taken down, when the time comes, by me to there new home.

Running out of room to store the boxes. Might have to think about renting some storage down the West Country. Once the snow melts.

keithst24 28th February 2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2600919)
............................... On the house hunting. Will need a snowplough soon.
The mortgage provider, the one the the buyer is using, apparently have been trying to contact me. Well, I haven't moved, still here. I think they have been given the wrong phone number, not by me by the way.

I've been in contact with the buyers Dad who has told me the business about the mortgage provider. Anyway I have passed on my landline number as well, hopefully they will contact me in due course.

So as I've not been venturing out I have started packing away my extensive model car/plane/train and ship collection. Spent 6 hours boxing them up today, and not even half way through. But some of the collection has brought back many a memory. Val bought me quite a few rarities which I'll be keeping for a few years yet.

Naturally enough there is a large MG ZT collection plus a few MG SV's and Lola MG's. There is a MG ZR saloon and a MG Express in the making. That's without the Roils-Royce collection, some very rarities in amongst this lot.
Jaguar XJ 220's are another collection with a few rare ones all in 1/12th scale. We have two East Midland police cars, plus a one Grampian Police car, one of only 99 made. And one in kit form, waiting to be built.

The two 1/8th scale Lamborghini's will be taken down, when the time comes, by me to there new home.

Running out of room to store the boxes. Might have to think about renting some storage down the West Country. Once the snow melts.

MG Lola

I got my T shirt on tonight Bob
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...705cd3e924.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b52d2374c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FLYING BANANA 16th March 2018 10:12

Looks like I have reached "The Chance Saloon"..................

.................................... I have today got yet another estate agent coming at 16.30 to give me a valuation on the flat as a one bedroomed flat instead of two.

I have said all the way along it has only one bedroom although it was built with two. The last straw came when, as I thought, the new buyers mortgage provider finally got through to me to arrange a viewing on the 5th March at 17.00. So I carried on packing. At about 16.00 on the day the mortgage provider phoned to say that the visit was cancelled as the buyer had withdrawn there application. What? News to me.

So I phoned the buyers Dad, he said that it was all in hand. There had been a slight mix up over the application for a mortgage on the 2 bedroomed flat as the mortgage provider had learnt, from other sources, that my flat only had one bedroom. I said well that was true. But the buyer had requested a mortgage for 2 bedrooms.

So it dragged on and on. Finally on Tuesday 13th I was informed by the buyers dad that they were unable to secure a mortgage and it would be best if I put back up for sale via the agents.
I was livid, not helping as I was a tad unwell, at what he said. Brought me very close to tears. I said that I had taken it off of the market at the request of his ex-wife. So many promises that have turned out to be empty. His ex-wife won't answer the phone to me.

So many dreams destroyed over one phone call.
I considered getting a builder in to convert the flat back but the cost and the thought of all the upheaval would be too much for me to bear. I would never be able to recover the cost and then I would definitely not want to move.

So today is the visit to "The Chance Saloon".

Snetty 16th March 2018 10:25

Buying or selling is a nightmare Bob, my daughter is in the same situation as you and she is buying all funds in place but problems with the lease is dragging things on to the point where her mortage offer expires.
It will all get sorted you have come this far don't be thinking of giving up now.

topman 16th March 2018 10:33

Its funny some houses seem to take ages to go through from sale to owners moving out. The last one in the family took over a year and yet someone else I know from offer to moving in was 6 weeks.

Dorset Bob 16th March 2018 11:48

Bad news, Bob - I hope things go more smoothly in the future.

Buying and selling property can be a nightmare!

I remember the first house that I "bought" for us to move into, just after getting married. :duh:

As considerable expense, it got to the final exchange, when the seller turned around said that he had changed his mind.
No reason was given. :shrug:

Got married and we ended up living in a caravan, whilst we started looking again from scratch. :mad:

Rev Jules 16th March 2018 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2596504)
Taking them with me as there is bound to be something I cannot find.

Have you marked each box with what’s in them,

Rev

FLYING BANANA 16th March 2018 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2607356)
Have you marked each box with what’s in them,

Rev

Yes, each box is marked with a list contents and what room they came from.
There are another 33 boxes packed and all ready to go. That's without what is in the loft.

FLYING BANANA 16th March 2018 16:28

Been given a lifeline.........................

.................................. From the Estage Agent who came today. A totally different person to deal with. Completely down to earth, no mincing his words. Yes, it is a one bedroom flat and should be marketed that way.

Just need to run his guideline prices past my brother-in-law. So we maybe back on course.

RPWC 16th March 2018 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2607426)
.................................. From the Estage Agent who came today. A totally different person to deal with. Completely down to earth, no mincing his words. Yes, it is a one bedroom flat and should be marketed that way.

Just need to run his guideline prices past my brother-in-law. So we maybe back on course.

Ebest of luck Bob

FLYING BANANA 19th March 2018 19:23

So far I have had..........................

................................... quotes from 2 removal companies, the Royal Mail have sent me details on how to re-direct my post, BT have also sent me details about me "taking" them with me, the gas and electricity companies have reminded me to send my meter readings in and the local council want to know when I'm going.

I have not contacted any of the above, only goes to show how the estate agents pass on your info to other companies, and not for free I assume.

steve-45 20th March 2018 12:32

Might also be a time to look around at other phone / broadband suppliers, doing some comparisons at the moment and BT are coming out at far the most expensive. :eek:

HarryM1BYT 20th March 2018 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2609136)
Might also be a time to look around at other phone / broadband suppliers, doing some comparisons at the moment and BT are coming out at far the most expensive. :eek:

Plusnet is the one I use at the moment, BT in all but name, but much more competitive than BT. Good service too, from a Yorkshire help desk, though some suggest waiting times are lengthening. They are open to negotiation on cost to renew, I have a very exceptional deal from them at the moment - all included, for £24, including free anytime calls.

RPWC 21st March 2018 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2609136)

BT always have been the most expensive..

FLYING BANANA 24th March 2018 18:34

The flat is now back..........................

................................. On the market with a no nonsense estate agent. Wish I had found out about these people first before the other company. The new company have instructed me totally different from the first company.
This company do there photography in house, they even used a couple of my own photo's.

No need to get another EPC certificate as I already have one, they are current for 10 years. I'm using my own solictor's so that cuts the cost down. Plus the new company's commission is slightly less.
They have emailed me copies of all the paperwork through already.

So fingers crossed and the move will be back on.

RPWC 25th March 2018 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2610911)
................................. On the market with a no nonsense estate agent. Wish I had found out about these people first before the other company. The new company have instructed me totally different from the first company.
This company do there photography in house, they even used a couple of my own photo's.

No need to get another EPC certificate as I already have one, they are current for 10 years. I'm using my own solictor's so that cuts the cost down. Plus the new company's commission is slightly less.
They have emailed me copies of all the paperwork through already.

So fingers crossed and the move will be back on.

Good luck Bob, hope its a success second time around.

FLYING BANANA 26th March 2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2611133)
Good luck Bob, hope its a success second time around.

3rd time round since January this year.

FLYING BANANA 26th March 2018 15:10

The For Sale board.....................

................................... Is up and Cable Tied to the hand rail at the end of the path. All copies of the paperwork have been emailed to me, the other estate agents failed to do this. The EPC certificate is current for 10 years and that is all sorted.
The property is up on the estate agents website with pictures plus the correct description.

And we have our first viewing tomorrow at 15.30.

RPWC 27th March 2018 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2611598)
................................... Is up and Cable Tied to the hand rail at the end of the path. All copies of the paperwork have been emailed to me, the other estate agents failed to do this. The EPC certificate is current for 10 years and that is all sorted.
The property is up on the estate agents website with pictures plus the correct description.

And we have our first viewing tomorrow at 15.30.

All the best Bob 3rd time lucky.;)

FLYING BANANA 27th March 2018 19:15

First viewing was not exactly........................

................................ A great success. The agents booked in a lady to come and view at 15.30. And on the dot the bell rang, and it was a chap standing there. Right name just wrong sex. It appears his wife was checking out the flat at 268A. He asked me to confirm whether it was freehold or leasehold, I said the latter. He then showed me the advert for my flat where it states it's freehold.

Well, they got that wrong had they not. And with that he was gone. I phoned the agents and pointed out their error. Oh! Hum! They have to get head office to sort it out. I also pointed out that the person viewing was not a woman but her husband. Something else they need to tighten up on.

RPWC 27th March 2018 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2612117)
................................ A great success. The agents booked in a lady to come and view at 15.30. And on the dot the bell rang, and it was a chap standing there. Right name just wrong sex. It appears his wife was checking out the flat at 268A. He asked me to confirm whether it was freehold or leasehold, I said the latter. He then showed me the advert for my flat where it states it's freehold.

Well, they got that wrong had they not. And with that he was gone. I phoned the agents and pointed out their error. Oh! Hum! They have to get head office to sort it out. I also pointed out that the person viewing was not a woman but her husband. Something else they need to tighten up on.

Yet another bunch of muppets:mad:

Ravinder 27th March 2018 22:42

Jeezo Bob. Nothing but bad luck. Whole situation sounds like a nightmare. I’d be pulling my hair out. And the estate agents too! :mad:

RPWC 28th March 2018 06:48

Seems like this lot can’t organise a p up in a brewery either. I would be kicking them out too Bob.

topman 28th March 2018 09:40

Get an online one, perhaps not any more competent but at least they are cheaper!

harrisop48 28th March 2018 10:38

Saw their advert the other day. The Bear sitting on the Office Chair and Bear embroidered on the pillows confirm it is a Bear Lair.
I noticed the Tenure as Freehold then underneath it confirmed it was Leasehold. The Agents have now changed the advert to Tenure Leasehold.
Keep having a wee, snifter of Malt, it will help and be enjoyable.
Hope Chain Free speeds up the sale.

FLYING BANANA 4th April 2018 10:12

One viewing in 10 days.......................

......................................... And the feedback was, " it's too small". Hello, it's marketed as a one bedroomed flat.

And why, oh! Why, do people get pleasure at taking down the For Sale sign outside my place. I got home last night around about midnight and the board was in place. This morning it was laying down in my next door neighbour's garden. When I went to look, the 4 heavy duty cable ties had all been cut. It's now back up with more cable ties. And I have reported it to the estate agents.

HarryM1BYT 4th April 2018 21:08

Passing drunks or maybe even competing estate agents taking them down?

FLYING BANANA 5th April 2018 21:33

Got another viewing tomorrow..................

................................... Only trouble is I'm in Devon. The estate agents left a message on my phone. I never heard the phone as I had left it on charge at Matt's house whilst we was out this afternoon. Never saw the message till this evening.

I told the estate agents the dates I would be away. There is no way I wanted to leave them with a key. So this will be yet another phone call in the morning to them. I'm not due back till next Wednesday. I need this rest.

RPWC 7th April 2018 14:30

As oer my post on 27th March Bob, a bunch of muppets!

FLYING BANANA 9th April 2018 14:25

Got a viewing in Saltash this afternoon. Bungalow in need of a new kitchen and bathroom floor.
Got some others to look at as well. Signed up to another estate agents.

And I now have viewings booked to view my property, at last, starting on Thursday this week.

v-man 9th April 2018 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2617407)
Got a viewing in Saltash this afternoon. Bungalow in need of a new kitchen and bathroom floor.

And I now have viewings booked to view my property, at last, starting on Thursday this week.

I have my fingers crossed for you Bob.

Groundsman Willie 9th April 2018 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2617407)
Got some others to look at as well. Signed up to another estate agents.

Hope things start to come together this time, with all that's been happening with you, you really deserve a bit of good luck

FLYING BANANA 9th April 2018 18:00

Viewed a lovely bungalow.

Allen and I viewed a really nice bungalow in Saltash this evening. Needs some work but Allen reckoned that it would not take too much to rectify.

Also looked at 3 other bungalows but not actually looked inside as we had not booked the viewing. 2 are really nice with the 3rd being a no no. Too many steps up to the front door.

Still, I'll not get my hopes up too much, need to sell mine first.
I signed on with 2 more agents as well.

Nev The Bear 9th April 2018 19:26

Good luck with the sale of your prooerty Bob and hope everything goes well with your search.

FLYING BANANA 13th April 2018 17:15

Feedback.

Feedback from the couple that came on Thursday, "nice but the small bedroom is too small to be a bedroom".

Feedback from the couple that came today to view, "Very nice, very clean and tidy. We have other properties to look at over the weekend but will let you know".

Still this is more feedback than I got from the first lot of estate agents. Still fingers crossed.

Teflon 13th April 2018 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2618940)
Feedback from the couple that came on Thursday, "nice but the small bedroom is too small to be a bedroom". .........

That'll explain the reason that you listed it as one bedroom then :cool: . Must be very frustrating for you Bob, you have my full sympathies :bowdown:.

Cliff

FLYING BANANA 24th April 2018 18:45

At least this couple turned up........................

............................................. Unlike those on Saturday. One phoned to say there were unsure whether they could make it in time, they didn't turn up. And the second couple, well I never saw them.

Tonight's couple were 15 minutes late, I was just on the point of pouring out a pint of cider. But at least they got here. Quite a novelty in this modern day and age, neither of them drive. So no car parking to worry about. They had a good look round. The chap had a list of questions and I answered all of them.

Bogbrush82 26th April 2018 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2623225)
They had a good look round. The chap had a list of questions and I answered all of them.

Questions are good. Questions mean interest. :cool:

FLYING BANANA 11th May 2018 15:43

Price reduction brings a flurry..................

..............................................Of Interest.
Not had a lot of interest over the last 6 weeks. Had a few people come round a various times. Got some good feedback and some not so good, but hey ho that's life.

As I'm "resting" between, (my stunt work), tripping up stairs. I decided to contact the estate agents this morning, and we had a chat. After awhile I agreed to knock 10k off of the asking price.
And now I have 5 viewings booked, 2 this evening and 3 on Sunday. So things are looking up, hopefully.

FLYING BANANA 13th May 2018 09:24

More feedback

1st couple turned up on the dot at 5pm. Very pleasant and very down to earth. First question to me was, "how long is the lease?" 916 years left. That went down well.
Feedback was, 'very nice and clean but the outside stairs are far too steep'.

2nd couple were early but they were not happy with the lack of parking. They were not keen on the stairs. And did not stay very long.
Feedback. None so far.

3 more viewings this morning.