The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Getting a good colour match for paint job (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292092)

Johnny2R 21st January 2019 10:57

Getting a good colour match for paint job

I've just had some paint work done on the sills of my Wedgwood Blue Tourer, which I'm not happy with for two reasons. Firstly, it has an orange peel texture, which is disappointing, and which I hope to get the garage to address. But it's also slightly darker than the rest of the car. I'm wondering whether the colour is actually right on paper, but the paint on the rest of the car has faded slightly over the last 16 years. Does this happen? And if so, how should they deal with this?

Teflon 21st January 2019 11:09

A good body shop would blend the paint to hide any colour difference.

Cliff

Edit: Also worth mentioning, I believe there are 2 versions of Wedgewood, hopefully they used the correct one.

Johnny2R 21st January 2019 11:14

It's actually a separate panel, so there's nothing really to blend with. Didn't know about the 2 colours of Wedgwood Blue. What an annoying thing that is!

suzublu 21st January 2019 11:51

JBH In front, JEL behind. Or Longbridge Wedgwood, Cowley Wedgwood
https://i.imgur.com/xFKKDLYl.jpg

Johnny2R 21st January 2019 12:26

Ah, OK. But I imagine that information is available in the door area, is it not?

suzublu 21st January 2019 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny2R (Post 2704350)
Ah, OK. But I imagine that information is available in the door area, is it not?

It is indeed, on the plate n/side :cool:

stevestrat 21st January 2019 12:33

Any decent body shop should have the equipment to "read" the paint and be able to colour match. New out of the tin paint is never going to perfectly match the 16 year old paint on the car.

zedhed 21st January 2019 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny2R (Post 2704334)
I've just had some paint work done on the sills of my Wedgwood Blue Tourer, which I'm not happy with for two reasons. Firstly, it has an orange peel texture, which is disappointing, and which I hope to get the garage to address. But it's also slightly darker than the rest of the car. I'm wondering whether the colour is actually right on paper, but the paint on the rest of the car has faded slightly over the last 16 years. Does this happen? And if so, how should they deal with this?

If it were lower sills,then the orange peel would probably be the stone chip which they probably would have applied before basecoat,hence why the shade differs slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacuman 21st January 2019 13:03

Light metallics were always a problem back in the old days as the air pressure used, thinning ratios, air temp, speed of traverse of the gun all make a difference to how the paint dries and the metallic particles settle.

Hopefully in these moden 2-pack, oven-baked, computer mixed days it should be easier but I guess we've all seen the cars with a wing or a door that's just a fraction wrong.

As for the fancy flip/flop (monogram) paints - how anyone matches them amazes me as the end result is impacted by the number of coats as well.

Johnny2R 21st January 2019 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2704358)
If it were lower sills,then the orange peel would probably be the stone chip which they probably would have applied before basecoat,hence why the shade differs slightly.

I'm not as bothered by the shade difference as the orange peel effect, which is unsightly (and different from the passenger side). What would they need to do to correct this? I did recall them mentioning stone chip, wasn't sure what it was.