The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Crash beam bolts - stainless? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299687)

Blink 3rd October 2019 10:48

Crash beam bolts - stainless?

The heads on my rear crash beam bolts are decidedly rusty. Any reason not to stick some stainless ones in there instead? If so, what size?

(8 bolts - 4 per side)

suzublu 3rd October 2019 11:29

I've changed as many bolts as I can with stainless, slam panel, headlights, engine etc so no reason I can see why not:shrug::D

clf 3rd October 2019 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2766248)
I've changed as many bolts as I can with stainless, slam panel, headlights, engine etc so no reason I can see why not:shrug::D

It is part of the crash structure, and becomes.load bearing in the event of a crash.

In saying that, I dont know or understand tensile strengths of bolts, but have read of potential issues using them on some components. But I would verify replacement bolts or whatever variety were up to the same level of strength as the original (even if rusty)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

KWIL 3rd October 2019 11:36

Make sure that the tensile strengths are adequate, S/S is not a direct substitute in many cases. Also beware, just because its called S/S does not mean it will not rust. In contact with rust, many will rust in due course.

Mike Trident 3rd October 2019 13:15

Stainless, actually means it will stain less. (Rust)

I use stainless wherever possible on my motorbike restorations.

It's usually stronger, but will snap rather than bend.

For the use you are looking at, you will have no problem at all.

All my front end is now attached with stainless bolts, nuts, washers etc etc.

Just a quick note:- stainless, when in contact with certain other metals will actually promote corrosion. E.g. alloy. Keep them separate with something like copperslip.

Teflon 3rd October 2019 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2766261)
Stainless, actually means it will stain less. (Rust)………...

I had no idea of that, but now you say it, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks, I've learnt something new today :}.

Cliff

RoverP480 3rd October 2019 13:33

Personally I only will use stainless fixing for none critical areas as no crash testing or durability testing has been done on the vehicle with stainless ones.

chris75 3rd October 2019 16:31

If the heads of the existing bolts are stamped 10.9 , do not replace with stainless . They will not be as strong . :}
Even if they are 8.8 , many stainless bolts will still not be as strong and as said are more brittle , which is not desirable in impact use .

kaiser 3rd October 2019 16:51

Perfectly fine to use. That part will never see any strain. Just impact, unless you drive over the curb and try and reverse;)
Don't over-complicate your lives with worries.:D

suzublu 3rd October 2019 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 2766298)
Perfectly fine to use. That part will never see any strain. Just impact, unless you drive over the curb and try and reverse;)
Don't over-complicate your lives with worries.:D

My sentiments exactly:bowdown: If you hit something that causes the bolts to break, then that would be the least of your worries:D