The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is there an offical method for bleeding? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291118)

macafee2 18th December 2018 20:58

Is there an offical method for bleeding?

Is there an officel method for bleeding a diesel?

Apart from squeezing top hose and removing bleed screw by battery box
is there anything else?

Having fitted and removed an FBH I'm sure I've lost more coolant then I've put back.

Can watch temp gauge get to 9'oclock and then drop as I assume inline stat then opens and then temp gauge creeps back up again to 9 o'clock.

macafee2

trikey 18th December 2018 21:00

Remove the bleed screw, ensure the expansion tank is half full then blow down the hole in the expansion tank until all the air is expelled from the bleed hole.

marinabrian 19th December 2018 02:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2695543)
Remove the bleed screw, ensure the expansion tank is half full then blow down the hole in the expansion tank until all the air is expelled from the bleed hole.

I hope you realise that statement will incur the wrath of the one who always quotes as follows

"you didn't refill and bleed the cooling system according to the MGR recommended procedure".

Don't say I didn't warn you :icon_lol:

Now back to the naughty step for you my lad :xmas-smiley-008:

Brian :xmas-smiley-040:

P.S. Ian, Trikey's method works fine in terms of what is lost when fitting a FBH ;)

Mike Noc 19th December 2018 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2695540)

is there anything else?

Having fitted and removed an FBH I'm sure I've lost more coolant then I've put back.

Can watch temp gauge get to 9'oclock and then drop as I assume inline stat then opens and then temp gauge creeps back up again to 9 o'clock.

macafee2

As long as the top small stabbing in the expansion tank is clear and not blocked (where the small hose is connected), with the bleed screw removed they pretty much bleed themselves Ian.

Check the level after a few runs, top up if required and you should be fine.

If you lose coolant on the diesels, the first symptom is lack of heating in the cabin, and that happens well before any movement of the temperature gauge.

SD1too 19th December 2018 07:41

But on other matters Brian you preach that the manufacturer knows best. :shrug: So do tell us, why is this any different?

Simon

SD1too 19th December 2018 07:43

Quote:

Yes there is Ian, but it doesn't take account of in-line 'stst modifications.

Simon

marinabrian 19th December 2018 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2695609)
But on other matters Brian you preach that the manufacturer knows best. :shrug: So do tell us, why is this any different?

Simon

Because it's not necessary for what Ian wants to achieve Simon, plus I thought I'd have a go at "cut and paste" answers........sound familiar :icon_lol:

Brian :xmas-smiley-008:

Daveluck 19th December 2018 10:32

Quote:

is there anything else?

macafee2

Not to worry you...but you shouldn't see the needle going up and down. With the mod it should raise to 9 o'clock and stay there. Maybe slowly dropping if youre coasting down a long hill.

Have you checked the temperature using the dash? It would be interesting to see what's going on temp wise.

Lotaskin 19th December 2018 10:54

I found removing the 8mm bolt that holds the expansion tank in place and lifting tank up helps. Also check the small pipe inlet to the neck of the tank is clear. I have used a tyre pump on the inlet pipe spout to clear the blockage.

macafee2 19th December 2018 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotaskin (Post 2695659)
I found removing the 8mm bolt that holds the expansion tank in place and lifting tank up helps. Also check the small pipe inlet to the neck of the tank is clear. I have used a tyre pump on the inlet pipe spout to clear the blockage.

That's sized I'm afraid

macafee2