The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   cdt not start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199039)

john o 26th October 2014 13:32

cdt not start

Can anyone help please, my cdt tourer towed my caravan to Somerset yesterday and while I set up the van I switched the engine off then after we parked the van the car refused to start though it turned over ok on the starter motor, I checked things over but couldn't see anything obvious after the car had sat for approximately one hour the damed thing started!
Any ideas on what could be the problem? One other thing is that on the way down here the car cut out twice but restarted after the ignition was switched off then back on again.
At first I thought it was the high pressure fuel pump but after it restarted I thought could it be a sensor possibly over heating and once it cooled started again , any one have any ideas?

James.uk 26th October 2014 15:22

Do an injector leakback test... :)

chillyphil 26th October 2014 17:43

A quick clean of the cam sensor may indicate if that's the problem?

marinabrian 26th October 2014 18:23

See if your ECU is swimming, if not leakback test, and see if it starts with a sniff of easy start.

Report back ;)

Brian :D

john o 27th October 2014 08:20

After the car had stood for an hour or so and cooled down it started and ran for an hour yesterday no problems which makes me think that it's a sensor breaking down but which one?:shrug:

pletevl 27th October 2014 08:37

Surely if a sensor is at cause, it would generate a fault code that could be read with an OBD reader ????

maxxpump 27th October 2014 09:43

I had this probelm a few times

I took the car for a ride and when i parked up, i.e: supermarket, petrol station, the bank, etc....it wouldn't fire up, until about half and hour to three quarters of a hour later it would start up like nothing ever happened. AA told me it could be a blocked fuel filter or leaking fuel tank seal, but I did have an injector replaced after months of chugging and rough running! After having the injector done it hasn't had this symptom again and am fairly happy that was the cause. Hope you find out you issue soon!

pletevl 27th October 2014 09:59

So one faulty injector would stop the engine from starting ? wouldn't it start on 3 cylinders ?

BigRuss 27th October 2014 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pletevl (Post 1825666)
So one faulty injector would stop the engine from starting ? wouldn't it start on 3 cylinders ?

No, if the injector is leaking back severely to the point where there is insufficient fuel pressure in the rail, the ecu will inhibit the injectors and prevent starting this prevents damage to the HP pump ;)

Russ

john o 28th October 2014 17:53

Well i've just towed the van back to Coventry and the car ran faultlessly with no problems, i'll try an obd test as soon as i can thank you all for your help :}